14

Yeonseo followed Sunoo from behind as he led her to an unknown place. He turned around and faced Baekhee, "Blindfold her."

Her heart started beating nervously when Baekhee wrapped a small fabric around her eye area. The court lady held her hand and slowly guide her to the place Sunoo went.

They all reached an unknown place. The place Sunoo promised to give her for her birthday. A special garden just for the princess. Baekhee gasped in awe as she looked around, seeing beautiful and rare flowers greeting her.

She slowly took off the blindfold from the princess. Yeonseo blinked her eyes continuously to adapt to the lighting. She widened her eyes and looked around, "What is this place?"

The King smiled, "I had this place designed just for you. It will be called 'Yeonseo's Garden'. You can have tea here, do your hobbies, whatever you want. It's all yours."

She smiled and hugged him, resting her head against his chest. "Thank you, Sunoo."

He smiled and patted her back, "Anything for my sister."

She took a look around, seeing colourful fishes in the pond. There were flower pathways that led her to a fountain. A gazebo was placed in the middle of the garden, the wooden pillars were designed with flowers climbing up to them.

She averted her gaze to a sudden figure that came running towards them. Jungwon panted tiredly but still managed to bow at them to give his respect.

"There's an emergency, Your Majesty. We received a warning from the West Kingdom."

Sunoo frowned and exhaled heavily, "Lead the way."

They both left the garden, leaving her alone with Baekhee. The court lady sighed, "You don't have to worry, Your Highness. I'm sure it's going to be fine."

Yeonseo thought for a while, trying to recall what she learned in the East Kingdom's history.

The West and the East weren't that good to each other. But what happened? Why can't I remember?

Wait.

This year is the year 1722. The year when the West Kingdom declared war with the East. No. God, no. Everyone will die!

"Baekhee, do you happen to know anything about the West Kingdom?"

"No. But I do know that they always send threats to His Majesty. Why do you ask?"

Because he will be injured really bad. The queen dowager will die. And all the guards and servants will die due to an explosion from black powder.

🌷

"Five court ladies were kidnapped and killed. Then, they were sent back to the kingdom as a warning," Jungwon said. Sunghoon sighed and sat down, thinking of a solution.

Sunoo frowned, "Did we do something to them? Why do they keep threatening us?"

"They want to expand their kingdom and make the East theirs," the prince said. Sunoo scoffed, "The audacity. My great-great-great-grandfather founded this kingdom by himself. And they want to take it just like that?"

"They are going to declare war anytime soon. We must get our soldiers ready," Jungwon said. The King exhaled heavily, "Do not tell anyone about this. And the death of the court ladies too. Especially to the princess and my mother. I do not want them to worry."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Sunghoon and Jungwon said in unison.

🌷

It is said that the war between the East and West went on for five years. And the East Kingdom will face a lot of damage and loss. How to stop it?

Yeonseo walked back and forth in her room, thinking of a solution. "Why does the West always want a war? What's wrong with them?" She said frustratedly.

"Your Highness, you should not worry. I'm sure it's fine since His Majesty hasn't announced anything yet," Baekhee assured her. Yeonseo ignored the court lady, still walking around and thinking hard.

The only way for them to strengthen their soldiers is to get help from the other kingdoms. The North and the South. Can they be any help?

I need to make sure the royal family is safe. Did the princess die because of this war? Maybe. How to reach out to other kingdoms?

"I must see the king this instant," she said before rushing to the door. Baekhee immediately blocked them, "You can't! Your Highness, His Majesty is having an important meeting right now."

She glared, "Baekhee, it seems like you're hiding something from me."

The court lady laughed nervously and looked away. Yeonseo took a deep breath, I'm sorry but I have to threaten you, Baekhee. It's the only way for you to tell me.

"Tell me or I'll have your head cut off. This warning that the West Kingdom sent may harm my family. And if that happens, I guarantee you your family won't be safe."

The court lady widened her eyes and gulped in fear, "The truth is, five court ladies were kidnapped and killed. They were then sent back to the palace as a warning about a war. I was the only one who saw the bleeding bodies at the court lady's headquarters. Mr Bae told me to keep quiet since it was Lord Yang's orders."

It has started. The most unforgettable war in history.