7. where the second-in-command isn't a friend

The news has reached far, even into the kingdom

The news has reached far, even into the kingdom. Just three days and the whole of Aratta seems to be engrossed and attained mastery in this subject.

The sister of the dead king has returned alive as a pure maiden– ah, what a lovely fodder for gossip and folktales, isn't it? They speak holy nonsense and tell she is the angel.

I want to strangle them. She won't be an angel at the cost of her character.

She must have felt insulted. She must have felt humiliated. How come they now worship her just because he didn't touch her body?

Would she ever become a subject of disdain if he assaults her?

No. She won't. She will remain the same blessing upon earth while that king will go downhill.

"You have got to know the thing, don't you?"

That voice is now too familiar. Chirpy, crispy with a touch of ruthless chill. Naive at one frequency and sultry when shriller.

"I have. I hate it."

"You should. Your plan failed."

"You acted as if you could attract any man." I twist my lips.

"So you accept that they are insects in general." Estella smirks. I feel defeated again.

"Is she alright?" I ask.

She scoffs. "Do you even expect it?"

I guess not. "No. I am worried that people will badmouth her. And the pressure of knowing the king is a huge thing. People segregate you."

"First point, she isn't afraid of isolation. The thing which is hurting her are the rumours– of how she is this and that."

I know what she means. That's the downside of being a woman. Dead or not, you become a hot topic when a man shows a wicked interest in you.

"He left her that night because she is Puloman's widow, I suppose. He knew her," Estella says, rubbing her chin. "But why would he need to employ extra attendants for her and increase security around her room?"

It has confused me too.

The morning we found Sitara miraculously alive, the king decided to install ten more guards outside her room. She was given five more female attendants. Sitara had refused at first but the Kandake coaxed her to accept it for the overall good.

I had first thought he was doing it all out of respect for Puloman. Yet, is he so good?

He doesn't want to now have Puloman's widow, does he?

I can't trust him.

"It's either what we think or he is doing it all to blacken her reputation."

"She is a blemish free being from heart. No one can alter that."