13. where the second-in-command hears the sage's tale

"It will be best if you accept the strange reality as soon as possible, or else time is less in your hands and in mine too

strange reality as soon as possible, or else time is less in your hands and in mine too."

The old man's words are unwelcoming.

"It seems like this is a fairy tale."

"A nightmare."

Sitara isn't wrong entirely.

I clear my throat. "It's bittersweet. We are fortunate to be a part of this history. And yet, all this is because of a curse that haunts us all."

Borzou– how far can he go for vengeance?

Alexandria was someone to me too, my niece, having my blood. I mourned her, I pray for her even now but to take away someone's honour to avenge her death is too far-fetched.

I understand him being impartial and treating both sexes equally. If Andhaka got punished, the five women must be too. Yet, it is too monstrous to suffocate them the way Alexandria suffered.

Isn't it so much unlike Borzou?

"I hate the man. Let him die!" Sitara spits.

I heave a sigh. "Let's see what Sage Budh has to say."

Borzou, the most sly and eager one sits just in front of the sage on a boulder like all of us. In the Aravalli Hills, vegetation is scarce and rainbow coated pebbles adorn the parched ridge.

"I am the son of Queen Kandahar and King Rishikesh, though the fatherhood in truth belongs to another man."

The colour from Sitara's rosy cheeks fade away. I notice Borzou clenching his fists.

"Aratta had been a country of matriarchs long back. The tradition was followed till the fall of my mother. The only one above the queen was Kaa, the life force and nothingness from which things emerge and finally dive into.

"Queen Kandahar had been a very stubborn woman, skilled in statesmanship and warfare. She wanted to be a lone ruler, but to abide by the principles of Kaa the queen always required a king to assist her from behind, be her counsellor. It is for this reason that her sister, the then Kandake, made her marry King Rishikesh."

He takes a pause, drawing in a deep breath in the humid and dusty breeze.
"I now ask you all, what do you know about my birth?"

"I know nothing and would be glad if you hasten things."

And the forever impatient Borzou. The events of last night have forced me to give up on food and water. I feel exhausted in and out. Does he feel exhausted too?

"Patience is a virtue not in the hosts of Puramdara. Still I expected you to have some wisdom, because to have the host himself come to me is surprising and appreciated."

Borzou scoffs. There was pity in the old sage's tone, eyes gleaming with a sad hope.

"Anyone who can tell me the tale, whatever you know?"