26. where rises a queen

A streak of dawn

A streak of dawn. A new morning. A new Aratta.

After so much of bloodshed, killings and sacrifices, Aratta is finally free from its curse. Poulomi and Puramdara are now one, merged into Kaa, who stands before us. Despite everything being as magical as a fairy tale, I must believe that I am not dreaming.

The ashes of Borzou tell me it's all real.

I collect it in a red pouch. Glittery flaxen dust the colour of his hair is mixed with it. Sage Budh had asked me to give him the remains of Borzou, and I must. I cannot keep it with myself even if I wish to.

But maybe I can keep a little? It should not harm...

I take a pinch and put it inside a vase, handing it over to Mother. "Keep this in a safe place. I shall cherish what is left."

"Something to accompany the memories."

The servants have already started cleaning the mess in the room. Gaston, the commander-in-chief who denied helping Vivasvat and us in defeating Puramdara now is stuck shouting inside a prison cell. Estella and the women are recovering from the shock quickly as they listen to the wise words of Poulomi.

"I am yet to fully emerge as Kaa. When you all want, for now time is ample in our hands, we can set out for Aravalli Hills."

"We won't delay, my Goddess," I say. "We will come now."

"Then gather all women, men and children of the palace. The epoch-making moment requires the presence of all as witnesses."

Mother beams from ear to ear. "Gather all! The servants, the nobles, the little ones who live in the palace, all! We shall go together to the Aravalli Hills."

The servants leave their work, eyes gleaming with happy tears. Yama and the few children frolic around. For them, nothing as changed– the old king has left for the sky on a dragon, asking the Goddess to find a queen for him.

That's what Mother has been telling them all. It's cheeky, so cheeky that I can't suppress the giggle between the tears.

My Borzou, my hero left on a dragon towards the abode of gods.

And thus, we all leave the palace and journey towards the Aravalli Hills, to the same place where I had met Sage Budh.

****

Hundreds of people wait in the valley as Sage Budh and Goddess Poulomi climb a little plateau. This plateau has been a forbidden place to go– full of bones and blood, located at the foot of the Hills, a bit far from the place where Alexandria rests. It's colder here when compared to other parts of Aratta.

On top of the plateau is the legendary sword stuck between the rocks, waiting to be plucked out like a lover's rose.

"To the people of Aratta, you all are now a part of history, of the most significant, poignant turn of events in the sands of time." Sage Budh waves his shaft.

Cheers and whistles ripple across the crowd. I smile merrily, holding the pouch in my hands. Estella pats my back.

"You are brave."

"Brave and bold."

She smacks my arm. I grin at her.

"Now is the time to return to the tradition we protected– to choose a queen from amongst you all."

Mother claps beside me. Estella's pupils are enlarged in anticipation and excitement.

Sage Budh continues, "I will ask, before the ritual commences, to give me the remains of the last king."

I quietly come to the front of the crowd, bow deeply to the sage and the goddess, and then climb the plateau. I hand him the pouch.

"Have you given me everything?"

I steady my heart. "All the ashes."

"Very well." His eyes sparkle. "Now ask your women to come and try lifting up the sword."

I turn to the mass. "People of Aratta, this land has been ruled by men who fell victims to the ways of a cruel curse, making both themselves and the kingdom suffer. At the hands of divine intervention and unity, the last king has been defeated and the curse now nullified. What is left is to make Aratta what it was long before. Where kings can't rule, queens do. We must choose a queen."

The women giggle and talk amongst themselves. The whispers are loud and gasps float over this ocean of emotions.

Everyone is happy.

"Who is the one who will come first?" Sage Budh asks. "Remember, there's no shame in not being able to lift up the sword. It takes guts to come here. So follow your heart and climb the plateau."

What I see pleases my soul. Estella and another woman from the palace come up to where I am standing. Each try lifting up the sword. I see the shining gaze of Estella go dull as she fails in the attempt but before the failure can overtake her jubilant nature she shrugs it off and laughs along with us all. She comes and stands beside me.

"What about you?" She elbows me.

I nudge her with my arm. "Too bad you and Mother think the same."

"Too bad I am here with you!"

And she pushes me. I stumble to the rocks, staring in awe at the sword.

"Estella, I cannot–"

"Do it."

It's Goddess Poulomi speaking.

I gape at the sword in awe.

It's more like an order, so I decide to obey.

The crowd is silent. People bite their nails, hide their faces, shut their eyes closed, waiting for the moment to just come flying by. Even my heart feels restless inside the rib cage, wishing to be set free instead.

I remember the words of Borzou. Yes, he said I had always been a queen. I was meant to be a queen. If he can trust me with that, I can trust myself too.

I hold the hilt of the sword, closing my eyes as the true edge shines in the beams of the sunup like polished silver. I feel the sword vibrate as I hold it, relaxing itself when my grip is strong.

It is all true. I am standing here, feeling the sword freeing itself from the clutches and embrace of the mighty rocks. It is all true. I am standing here, feeling my stomach churn and my heart thud and roar a thunderstorm.

It is all true. Borzou, your words must be true. I can be a queen.

"Do it," Estella mumbles. "Where kings can't rule, a queen will! Sitara will!"

I pray to Kaa to help me muster up the courage to do this simple yet daunting deed. Drawing in a deep breath, I put in all my strength to get the sword.

"In the name of Aratta!"

And before the eyes of all, I pull the sword out.

The fallen star has risen.

**** END ****