3. A Widow In The Making

Martin arrived at his apartment that was worth millions. His car was parked carefully into the parking garage where an elevator will be able to take him to him and Claire's floor.

The way his demeanor changed once he stepped out of his car made me frown. He was no longer this laid back, casual and soft spoken man, but resembled a stiff soldier when he unlocked the door of his apartment and greeted Claire. The camera's they had installed didn't have sound and that was just fine, a picture is worth a thousands words, but so are videos.

Claire was cautious in approaching her husband. I noticed how careful she was to close the small opening of her silk robe as if to make sure she wouldn't tempt Martin in some way.

Sipping on my coffee, I smiled feeling like an undercover cop in my car across the street. My windows are limo tinted therefore no one could see my laptop playing television where a damsel in distress and her foe, who, happily, ate the mushroom ravioli she made.

"That's honestly such a random allergy."

Claire laughed at my sour face and agreed, "Only found out when he had declined traveling to the desert in fear that'll he'll come across one. On our honeymoon, there was a meal at the restaurant we went to where they use scorpion."

"I heard scorpion has a beefy texture and that the taste is slightly fishy."

"Martin hates fish, but..." A grim look went over her face as she finished her sentence, "He's one hell of a carnivore!"

Similar to a bee, a scorpion can lose it's stinger as it has the ability to separate itself from it during a life or death situation. Most restaurants who may use scorpion for a dish makes sure to include that they are released from their stingers before cooked given the venom lies within the segments of the tail.

If not cooked thoroughly, the venom's properties won't negate.

"Insuring an allergic reaction," I mumbled to myself. It was silent in my car, the soft hum of the engine only reached my ears.

Claire had the ravioli prepared before her loving husband arrived home which made it easier for him to dine then shower as scheduled.

Yes... this man schedules his night and even their sex.

"If I refuse, he immediately accuses me of cheating!"

"Why am I not surprised," the cheater accusing the innocent of doing the same thing when they are not.

"In the prenup, if I cheat I will get no money. He knows that I come from a poor family and said he'll ruin me if I ever embarrassed him and will take all his money before leaving me."

Seeing Claire's sad face when we secretly met up a couple days ago after I left Anne's house brought me back to my mother's tears. How puffy her eyes would be after crying for hours after my dad left with the mistress of the week, sometimes day. The man had restrictions on my mother's "allowance", only allowing her to utilize the money he gave her for groceries, anything I needed for school, her gym membership and the box dyes to keep her blonde hair from turning gray.

My fist clenched when I recalled the dirty looks he'd give the silver strands he caught sprouting out on the top of her head. Him being ok with his jet black hair and beard doing the same, but not her tresses.