12. Call Out My Name

"Awww," Deena said through the phone. She sounded genuinely sympathetic then added, "I hope you feel better! Merry Christmas Eve, mama."

I smiled, "Thank you." I rubbed my forehead when my temples continued to pound, quickly stopping when I felt the dressing over my wound. It was replaced with something to help with the bleeding, pain and possibility of infection by the paramedics that arrived a few minutes after Bryan police friends did. Krause's body was bagged and carried out on a gurney in the back of the ambulance to the hospital where I'm sure he was officially pronounced dead.

I didn't go to the hospital, I got in Bryan's car where he followed one of the policemen who went by Officer Drake to the station so my story could be recorded properly.

Before getting off the phone with Deena, I asked if she could give everyone their holiday bonus via direct deposit or check in my absence since I won't be there to do so. She was happy to and wished that I "get well soon" thanks to the lie of me feeling too sick to come into work was my explanation to my tardiness and overall absence at work for the remainder of the day.

"Luckily it's just a gash and not a brain injury," the paramedic cleared up any major complications I could endure which relaxed my nerves. "Avoid scrubbing the wound whenever replacing the bandage, use warm water and soap to keep it clear of germs and debris." I remember the deep concerned look in the female paramedics eyes as she advised me to use Vaseline to help prevent my gash from drying out and scabbing so it won't take longer to heal.

"Thanks, Trish," Bryan beat me to it. Thanking the female paramedic who smiled at the both of us before taking her post in the ambulance where Krause's dead body was. The lights flashing silently as they drive away.

The whole car ride to the police department was silent. The kind of silence that is there because both the driver and passenger are so warped into their thoughts that words being spoken was truly unnecessary.

My worries of getting arrested and jailed left my mind thanks to Bryan, the officers he's acquainted with and the fact that they revealed Krause's previous criminal history to my attention. It was revealed to Bryan in low whispers when Officer Drake pulled up Krause's history, somewhat being familiar with repeat offenders in the area.

The information came out in a deep grumble of his voice, his head angling towards Bryan as he told him, "This is his Karma. Krause has a history of using substances to lure women into his place and have his way with them," Drake's blue eyes swept over me for a millisecond before returning to his green eyed friend. "If your girl didn't realize what could've been the aftermath of whatever is in that bag--"

"Ketamine," Bryan nodded, not denying me being 'his girl' which made me frown at him and roll my eyes. I'm not sure if I was labeled his girl because he gave me his jacket to fight the cold air outside or if Officer Drake was someone he talked about me with before!

"She probably would've been his second successful victim."

The whole ride to their station, I had frown lines forming by the seconds! His second victim?

Krause had his car filled with drugged beautiful women, if it wasn't for me, his number in victims would leaped to a total of four!

My frustrated shift in my seat didn't go unnoticed by Bryan as he parked in the half empty lot of the police station.

"You failed to correct that I am not 'your girl' to Officer Drake," taking the key out of the ignition, Bryan stared at me then shrugged.