Chapter Two

After the ceremony, all of Dauntless ran out of the building along with the transfers before reaching the train tracks and jumping on the train.

A few didn't make the jump, making them factionless.

Fortunately, Keres made the jump, surprising a few of the transfers and Dauntless born, seeing as they thought she would be the first to be sent factionless. However, after the stunt she pulled at the Choosing Ceremony, they weren't too sure.

Keres leaned against the train wall, merely observing everyone around her. Looking at her competition. An Candor boy with shaggy blonde hair and brown eyes was the first to bravely approach her with a kind looking smile.

She merely glanced at him before looking ahead once again. He cleared his throat nervously, smiling again, showing his dimples and asked, "Hey, I'm Trevor. What's your name?"

A black haired short Erudite girl came from behind him and raised an eyebrow at him, "Didn't you hear? Her names Keres, dumbass." She said.

He glanced at her and said, "I wanted to hear it from her Nose." He glared at her before looking back at Keres and said, "it's a pretty name, by the way."

The Nose scoffed, "she was names after The Keres. They were the female spirits of cruel or violent death. They were one of the many evils released into the world from Pandoras Box, you know, the myth?" She said, glancing at Keres slightly in disgust. "Lets see if you live up to your name, tree hugger."

After she left, Trevor rolled his eyes before looking back at Keres who was looking at him amusedly, with a smirk on her face, "don't mind Bethany, she's just jealous of you." He said.

Keres nodded in reply, not answering. "Are you mute?" Trevor asked, his eyebrows scrunched together.

This time, Keres only answered with silence, making Trevors lips form an 'O' shape as he came to the conclusion that she was.

"Get ready to jump!" A Dauntless born yelled, making everyone prepare for what was to come.

Keres looked out the doorway, only to see that the Dauntless born were jumping out of the train onto the roof of a building, making her smirk while others chatted worrisomely amongst themselves.

Keres wasted no time in backing up to jump, others following in suit before she ran and leaped of the train. Her jump would have been successful, if it hadn't been for a Erudite transfer by the name of Jennifer that leaped too soon after her on heels. She wasn't going to make the jump and she knew that.

So she pathetically wrapped her arms around Keres' legs, bringing her down with her as Keres barely managed to catch the ledge of the building, Jennifer screaming hysterically as she did so.

Keres struggled to hold on, seeing as Jennifer was more heavy then her and there was no way in hell she could drag someone else on the ledge. Jennifer's screaming seemed to have caught everyones attention as they crowded around the ledge. Some attempted to help, only to be stopped by a muscular Dauntless man, with tattoos up his neck and arms, steel grey eyes and a cold look to his face. He screamed authority.

"Let them handle it." He said, looking at Keres challengingly, challenging her to give up and let go.

Keres let out a growl, sick of the Erudite girl screaming like a damn baby, so she did what had to be done, and smashed her boot on her face, causing her to let go and fall to her death, making Keres successfully climb over.

In that moment, as everyone stared at her, they realised who she really was. Cruel. She wasn't born like the other Amity borns, no matter how many times they drug her up, she will always remain the same. Cruel, cold and heartless. Most of all: she'd do anything to make it past initiation. That's who she was. She'd do anything to just survive.

Anything.