Chapter Three

The silence didn't last too long and soon, everyone gathered around the ledge that Eric previously stood on, but Keres didn't miss the few wary glances being thrown her way.

"Alright, I'm Eric one of your leaders here in Dauntless. This is the way in," Eric said, gesturing to a large black hole in the middle of the four building. "And if you don't have the guts to jump then you don't belong in Dauntless."

Everyone stayed silent, looking anywhere but Eric accept from the Dauntless born and a few brave transfers, including Keres.

"Well someones gotta go first, so who's it gonna be?" Eric asked, sighing in frustration and annoyance.

Keres stepped forward without hesitation. She had to prove to everyone that she wasn't just some peace loving Amity, she was Dauntless. Even if she had practically killed someone, she was one of the shortest initiates there, which most would think would make her weak.

She was anything but weak.

Without a second thought, she hopped on the ledge, feeling everyones eyes burn into her back as she leaped off the edge, falling like a pebble into the black hole.

The fall wasn't graceful. It was simple and short, till her back met a hard surface filled with holes. A net

A masculine hand was shoved under her nose, which she took as she rolled off the net and swiftly onto her feet. Keres looked up to see a good look, blue eyes man with a mysterious aura to him, looking down at her slightly, face blank but eyes showing shock.

"An Amity? That's a first. We'll see how long a tree hugger like you will last." A woman with black dreadlocks said, also surprised.

Keres didn't say anything in reply, as she usually did and merely turned her head to face Four who looked like he was about to speak, "what's your name, initiate?" He asked.

All he got in returned was a blank stare, making him huff in frustration, "is it a hard one? You can change it if you want but make it good." He suggested, but again, all he got was silence, making him huff once again.

"She must be mute. Wait till the other initiates come down, they might have heard her name in the Choosing Ceremony or something." The woman with dreadlocks said.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Four muttered before turning to the small crowd and yelling, "First Jumper - Amity!"

After those words were yelled, Keres went and stood by the small gathered Dauntless, a few clasping her shoulders in congratulations, making her throw a couple irritated glances their way.

Unfortunately for Keres, all of the initiates jumped which just meant more competition and made her a target to more eyes.

Four gave a short introduction and later on, Keres found out that the woman with dreadlocks was called Lauren and the Dauntless-born instructor.

"Before we leave, can someone tell me what the mute Amity's name is?" He asked casually, throwing an annoyed glance her way.

Bethany stepped forward, glaring at Keres for reasons unclear to her and said bitterly, "Her name is Keres. Named after the Ker---"

"We asked for her name, not for a whole damn story, Nose. Now everyone, follow me." Eric said plainly, making Bethany's face visibly pale.

As Eric gave the transfers a tour, Trevor managed to subtly move next to Keres, who was walking at the back of the group and gave her a kind smile.

"Hey, it's me again. Trevor from on the train." He said. "How do you plan on... communicating? I think is the word, if you can't speak?" He asked. Keres rolled her eyes.

Typical Candor.

Keres suddenly stopped in her tracks, making Trevor subconsciously do so as well and looked at her confused.

Keres leaned in and whispered, "I'm not mute, babe." Before running up to catch up with the rest.

Trevor caught up with her just as Eric and Four were explaining what the Chasm represented and looked at her confused and curiously.

Keres ignored the looks Trevor gave her and attempted concentrating on what Four was saying, but with Bethany's glare added into the mix, it was starting to get on her nerves.

Keres returned her glare and flipped her the bird, making Trevor chuckle and Bethany's face heat up.

The rest of tour was uneventful and they were quickly given some Dauntless clothes to change into after Eric and Four showed them the dorms.

As they all went in to get ready, Four asked, "Whats your view on the transfers?"

Eric glanced at Four, slightly irritated before answering, "Too many weak ones. We're getting more weak transfers and cocky shit Dauntless-borns as the years go by. I reckon Drake, Kason and Trevor are going to be the best out of these group of initiates."

Four raised an eyebrow and asked, "What about the weakest?"

Eric shrugged before glancing at the Amity transfer and his lip curled in annoyance and disgust. Hippies, he thought bitterly. "Amity transfer won't make it a day here in Dauntless." He said.

Four shrugged, not completely agreeing after what he had heard about her, "I wouldn't be too sure about that. I heard she threw the Choosing Ceremony knife at a Candor initiate with perfect aim." He said.

Eric rolled his eyes at Four, "She probably got lucky. Probably has some anger issues. Great. She probably won't even lay a hand on the initiates when it comes to fighting." He said annoyedly.

"I thought she killed that initiate when she jumped off the train?" Four asked with a raised eyebrow.

Eric shrugged, "Moment of desperation I guess. She's nothing special." He said, just as the initiates walked out of the dormitory doors, all dressed in tight Dauntless clothes and holding their old faction clothes.

Eric stepped forward, "Alright initiates, follow me." He said, his voice dripping with authority.

Eric lead all of the transfers to a blazing fire, the fire flickering now and again as the transfers stared, hypnotised by it.

"This here is where you dump your old faction. Here in Dauntless, we don't allow any attachments to your families or factions. After this you may go to the Mess Hall and do as you please. Tomorrow training starts at Eight. Be ready." Eric instructed loudly. Once he finished, the room remained unmoving till his raised his eyebrows and viciously said, "GO!"

One by one, the initiates dropped their old clothes into the fire before rushing away to get away from Eric pretence. Finally, it was Keres' turn and this time, once she dropped the clothes into the fire, she didn't hurry away.

She stayed. Her eyes watching as the fire slowly ate away at her clothes, burning the red and yellow fabric.

Eric eyed her carefully, trying to see why Four would think she had the potential to survive in Dauntless.

"Come on initiate, time to move along. Stop wasting my time." Eric said, making Keres look up at him and look him in the eyes.

That's when he saw it. He saw in her eyes what she was capable of. She had the eyes of a fighter, a survivor. But also something else. Something intriguing to him. You know what else he saw in her eyes?

The eyes of a killer.