Hypothermia

And I wonder why people call me dramatic 🙄 because this is the things I write! Was this too over the top? Yes? Good.

Tw; angst, mentions of near death and near drowning/freezing

This is unedited and I KNOW there are mistakes somewhere in here, but I don't have the time or energy to read through right now. This took my days to finish as is, so please cut me some slack 🤐

Summary; Ellie and Y/n just want to enjoy the weather together when everything goes south

-

Ellie's teeth slightly chattered as she wrapped her arms around herself. Her breath appeared in front of her face, much to her distaste. It was early January according to Maria's homemade calendar, and boy, was it cold outside.

Ellie secured Shimmer inside of her stable, making sure to scratch under her chin to let her know she was a good girl. Shimmer snorted in response, stomping a foot and leaning into Ellie's touch. Ellie smiled and made her way outside, only to once again frown when the cold breeze hit her face.

All she could think about all day was to get home to Y/n and spend the rest of the day cuddled up in bed. All she wanted to do was be entangled in a mess of blankets with her girlfriend. And that was enough to make her march confidently to their shared home. It was no doubt in the negatives outside, but the thought of seeing her girlfriends' face warmed her heart and mind, no longer making her feel cold.

She trudged through the deep white snow. Usually she would be overjoyed when it snowed, because she and Y/n had a cute tradition of playing in it like little kids. Ellie cherished these memories, a bunch. She loved her girlfriend more than life itself, and she definitely loved making all these memories with her.

She got so lost in her thoughts that she didn't even realize that she had finally made it to their shared home. Snow lightly dusted the riffled roof of the house. The bare trees had sharp ice hanging from the branches, threatening to fall and puncture anything or anyone below them. It felt all too surreal for her mind to process. But she knew that the real magic would be when she opened the door and saw her beautiful girlfriend. She was the one person who never failed to bring a smile to her face. Y/n always made Ellie feel so loved.

Just the thought of Y/n made Ellie smile like an idiot, before quietly creaking the door open. She shut the door behind her, making as little noise as possible. The two had a habit of surprising each other when they got home. Ellie slid her boots off at the door, sighing in content as the warm air hit her.

Ellie, full of energy, made her way to the bedroom the two of them shared, being met with confusion when her girlfriend wasn't there.

"Y/n?" Ellie quietly called out, being met with no response. Her mind grew aware of just how eerie it felt to be standing in the inside of her own house. It was completely silent, save for the light buzz in her ears. It was quiet, and perhaps maybe even too quiet. It made Ellie uneasy. Although she knew that no infected could have entered, she felt like something was off. Where's Y/n? Did something bad happen?

The thought made her heart race and her breathing speed up. She was beyond anxious now. So she made her way to the bathroom, planning to check every room inside the house before she had a full blown panic attack.

But to her relief, she didn't have to, because she could hear quiet hums coming from the bathroom, indicating that Y/n was in there. Ellie once again cheerfully made her way to the door, not bothering to knock as she opened it wide.

"Babe!" Ellie half yelled, engulfing her girlfriend in a hug. Y/n laughed, returning the much needed hug. Ellie pulled away to get a better look at the girl she loved the most. She was, to no surprise, doing her hair. It had been growing out here recently and Y/n had been saying she wanted to cut it. It was safer, afterall.