Reckless

You yawn loudly, adjusting your bag on your shoulder. Your head tilts slightly at Jesse. "You good?" you ask almost nonchalantly, yawning again. Jesse laughed a bit but then laughed with you.

"Mhm. Oh, and why isn't Ellie coming with you today?"

Jesse raised an eyebrow as you reached the stables.

"Oh, I thought that Ellie needed some more sleep. Yesterday was a loooooong day." You said, pulling out H/n from the stables.

"Mm, she's not gonna be too happy when she wakes up."

"She'll be fine," you shrug, stretching your muscles before hopping on H/n. "What's she gonna be mad about? Sleeping in? Sounds like a dream to me! Pun intended."

Jesse snickered. "Ooookay, Y/n. Whatever you say, girly. Have fun, be safe."

Jesse gave a curt nod as you began to ride away. You rode out into the abyss, the cold, brisk morning air hitting your face as you did.

....

You finally reached the patrol tower. You smiled at the view of the sun high in the sky. Albeit the cold air, you felt warm inside. Espeically when you thought of Ellie. God, you love that girl. Just the thought made you smile.

You sighed contently, turning around, intent on going back home now that patrol was just about over.

Suddenly, from the bushes, a runner lunged at you, pushing you back against a rusty bar.

You groaned in pain as you tried to push the runner off, reaching fro your knmife that was thrown across the forest floor when he toppled onto you.

The runner clawed at your face, growling and foaming at the mouth. In one last attempt, you reached your knife and stabbed the horrid creature in the face. Over, and over, and over again until you were sure it was dead.

Breathing heavily, you painfully pryed yourself from the rusty bar, a sickening sound emitting from it.

"Well-" you panted, trying to catch your breath. "That was... dangerous." You said, shrugging and whisling for H/n to come.

"Tis but a scratch," You joked, groaning at the burning sensation. "Ugh, how did I even miss him?" you continued to talk to yourself – or H/n, who knew? – as you headed home.

-

Ellie groaned, turning to your side of the bed. When she felt you not there, she popped her head up faster than her heart could beat.

"Y/n?" Ellie asked, sitting up further. "Y/n?" she asked louder, scrabling out of bed and checking the house. When you wasn't in the house, she started to panic. She threw on some warm clothes and set out for you, intent on figuring out what was going on.

"Hey, El!" Jesse greeted, trying to throw himself in Ellie's arms. Ellie stepped aside, eyebrows furrowed as Jesse stumbled. "Jeez, okay." Jesse half joked.

"Where's Y/n?"

Jesse scoffed, muttering to himself. "Told her it was a bad idea."

"What?"

"She went out for patrol."

"Patrol?!"

"She should be back in a few."

Ellie looked at the sun, squinting her eyes.

"No, she should have been back 20 minutes ago."

"Come on, it was probably a small horde or something. I'm sure she's-"

Suddenly, Ellie pushed past him, frantic written on her face. She speed walked towards the stables, intent on grabbing Shimmer and riding out.

"Hey," Tommy greeted, stopping the determined girl. "Where you off to in such a rush, El?"

"Finding Y/n, since somebody let her ride off on her own!"

"Relax, Williams. I am sure she is alive and well."

"Yeah, well, that isn't-"

Suddenly, in the distance, Ellie could see H/n, and you on top of her. Ellie growled in a low voice and turned on her heels, heading for home.

You saw her reaction, and groaned nervously at it.

Jesse was at the gates greeting you, already mumbling about how Ellie had freaked out. You just groaned at your friend.

Yep, you were in for it when you got home.

-

"What were you thinking?!" Ellie yelled as soon as you walked in the house.

"Calm down, El! I just wanted to let you sleep it!"

Ellie got in your face.

"No. You know we always go on patrol together. Why was it different this time?"

"Because you were tired! That's why."

"That's not an excuse!"

Ellie scoffed, advancing towards you. You backed up before hitting the wall, letting out a small yelp as your back collided with the surface.

Ellie's face softened at that, as she backed up slowly.

"Are you hurt?"

"No, I just bumped into the wall, and-"

"You barely touched it. There's no reason it should have made you yelp."

You gulped as your cover was slowly falling. Ellie groaned, grabbing your shoulders and turning you around forcefully – careful not to hurt you any worst – and lifted your shirt up.

You flinched at the sudden contact of her cold hands. You heard her made a small noise as she traced her thumb against the medium sized cut acorss your back.

"This is what I mean," Ellie complained, moving from you to get a first aid kit.

"Always getting yourself hurt. Always."

"El-"

"If I would have been there-"

"I don't need a babysitter for gods sake." You finally said, snapping. You were tired of being lectured.

"Shut up," Ellie said, getting behind you. "It's stupid to go out alone. Stupid to be reckless like that."

"Can you just stop?" you asked, passive aggressive tone. "I'm not a child."

"I say this because I care about you. I don't want to see you hurt."

You groan, resting your head against her shoulder as she finished putting rubbing alcohol on your back.

"I know." You said quietly.

"Just promise it won't happen again, okay?"

Ellie said, calming down as she wrapped her arms around your waist. You hummed slightly.

"Fine. Even if you're super tired."

"Even if I'm super tired." Ellie reassured, turning you around and smiling at you. She planted a kiss on your forehead, humming.

And you smiled back at her, content that today turned out okay afterall.