six

dream

What was it about George that sent Dream's insides afire? 

Why was getting a reaction out of the petit boy the blonde had only met a few hours ago of such importance to him? Was it the idea of fresh meat? Someone new to learn more about? Someone new to talk to about things he'd probably ranted to many friends about already? Dream couldn't quite place his finger on it. This was different, though. It's not like Dream knows everything about everyone in the city. People around here were far too self-conceited to give a shit about anyone else but themselves. Maybe that's what drew Dream to George.
It was beyond evident that the outsider didn't have the same morals as those who grew up on this side of the wall. Yet, he seemed to care- he seemed empathetic and grateful- everything Dream was not, everything Dream admired but could never bring himself to practice.

Was it simply the demeanor of the dark-haired stranger alone? Or was his welcoming and comforting aura complimented by his beautiful honey-brown eyes and that shy smile plastered on his soft pale skin? So thoughts grew throughout the morning.
George was asleep on Dream's bed while the tall blonde sat by his table, feet propped on the wooden surface while his spine forced itself against the hardback of the metallic chair.

'you don't show your face much, do you?'
Words never meant much to Dream; they never phased or upset him, even if those were intentions behind them. Quite frankly, he barely listened to what others had to say, let alone give a fuck about what was being said, but those words, George's words-his opinions on the facade of a mask the blonde hid behind- those seemed to stick like glue.

Dream used to have a pretty face. One that almost everyone gawked over. His bright green eyes and light freckles spread across his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. It was a face that was far from difficult to look at, and even Dream knew this himself. The beauty of it, however- that all went away the night of the fire.

"Dream, bro, you need to come with me right, the fuck now," Sapnap yelled from a distance as he waved the blonde boy over, already running off further in the distance. It didn't take long for the boy to catch up, with his long legs falling into a sprint. That's when he saw it, the full vision taking his breath away. His heart sank to the soles of his feet. 

"She's out, right?" Dream asked as he caught up to Sapnap, who remained quiet. "Sapnap, tell me she's out-someone's gotten her out, right?" This time Dream didn't wait for an answer; he continued to pass his best friend, making his way into his house that was set aflame; ash and debris from the crumbling structure hiked in the air.
The hot air kissing at his skin as he pushed through the heavy smoke. "Drista!" he called out between coughs. "Sis, where are you!" The fresh tears burned his dry eyes. Dream's heart started pulsating at a tremendous rate; the only response he received was the sound of his house burning around him and the lack of his sister's voice calling out for him. 

She was taken too soon and snatched from the safe haven of her big brother's arms. The years they could've had together- all of that - their entire future together burned deep within the heavy flames.

Dream was close to giving up before he noticed a body surrounded by the open fire. "no,  no, no" he whispered to himself, the lack of oxygen reaching his brain as the pain from the fire singing his skin started to feel like nothing more than a tickle compared to the pain he felt witnessing his little sister's lifeless body on the floor. There was nothing he could do to save her. She was gone. God knows how long she was gone or how long she struggled. Dream thought about it while carrying her body out of the building that collapsed minutes after - he thought about whether she died from the smoke or whether the flames got to her first. No outcome was better than the other. She was dead either way. She was dead, and he wasn't there to make sure she got out of the house safely. It was his first day of training - perfect attendance was mandatory, but at what cost?

Walking out of the house with his sister's body wrapped in his arms, he looked up and noticed bystanders lurking around. Ignoring them all in the same way they ignored Drista's cries for help, he walked over to his friend, who was now sitting with Karl - shoulder to shoulder as they waited with anticipation. "Is she-" Karl started, stopping midway as the answer lay lifeless in the blonde's arms.

Dream would never forget that day. It replayed in his dreams in the nights he even got a wink of sleep. Karl and Sapnap helped him bury her under one of the few trees they still had around the city, and only moments after that, the light brunette dressed his wounds and tended to his burns. Most of them healed over time, except the one covering a fourth of his face.
His pretty face was now slightly less perfect, with sadness written all over it. 
The blonde played with his mask in his hands for a moment, appreciating the smile because although he had struggled to muster a smile since the event. The mask did it for him with ease. Sometimes it was far easier hiding behind a mask than facing grief head-on. 

He looked over at the sleeping boy on his bed, and a small smile escaped onto his lips before shaking it off just as fast as it appeared. Getting up, the blonde grabbed some food and heated it for the two of them, feeling a slight nostalgic wave wash over him as this was the first time he had prepared a meal for two since his sister's passing. Just in time, with his back facing the bedroom area, Dream placed his mask on, preparing himself to wake up the brunette who had managed to sleep through the day.

"That smells good," he heard the soft voice behind him, causing his body to tense. "Dinner," Dream replied with an expressionless tone as he turned around, placing the plates on the table. "I assumed you'd wake up hungry, so I spared you from the need to awkwardly ask me for anything." This achieved a humored scoff to escape the more petite boy's lips as he sat by the table before peering up at the masked smile. 
"Thank you," he started, "for both the food and the lack of awkward conversation." The blonde nodded in response, lifting his mask slightly to the point where his mouth was fully displayed as he ate away at the meal. It didn't take long before the pair finished their dinner. Dream was now ready to fixate his attention on the stranger before noticing that his honey-brown eyes were already fixed on Dream, specifically, his lips.

"If you're hoping for a kiss, all you need to do is grow some balls and ask for it, outsider." This left the brunette in shock, his eyes wide as he started to protest, yet nothing but stutters spewed from his lips.
"You know what, George?   I should give you a tour. Everything's better during the night," Dream spoke as he stood up, placing his mask securely on his face before moving to his bedroom area, grabbing a black hoodie which he threw to the more petite boy. "You'd stick out like a sore thumb in that blue," Dream stated, waiting for George at the door.

The excitement started to brew within the blonde's body. He wanted to show George all of his favorite spots and hideouts; he wanted the outsider to see a whole different world he had only recently found out about, and even though Dream would never admit it, he wanted to spend time with the new boy.

Every bit of Dream knew this was probably the most dangerous thing he'd ever done, but why did George feel so safe?

---

Author's Notes:
University is kicking my ass right now, but here's a quick chapter. Sorry, it's another sad filler, but I can assure you, the bonding happens very soon <3