nine.

george

For most, it takes quite a bit to fully get to know someone: their hobbies and interests, their likes and dislikes, and their good and bad qualities. 

George only needed three full days. Three full days to realize that Dream enjoyed being a prick with an axe, loved to act like a complete ass for two-thirds of the day, immensely despised George's company, and had zero good qualities about him. This is why, when going to bed, George decided that enough was enough; he was going back to the wall, going through the hole, and going back to his people. If it was the ultimate death sentence, then so be it, but living here, under Dream's roof, thinking the pair were finally getting along, just to be knocked back down again? What kind of a life was that to live voluntarily? 

The morning of his sixth day arrived, and Dream had only been around his own place a little. George would only hear the other come home early in the morning before the sun rose. 

This didn't bother the brunette very much, it's not like he wanted to see Dream, but the feeling of him being on bad terms with someone else with no way of finding reconciliation made the boy sick to his stomach.  

A part of George wanted to reconcile with the blonde before parting indefinitely; he had a past where goodbyes weren't possible before losing someone forever. It happened with his father and friends; if he finally had the opportunity to part ways with someone on good terms - final, sincere goodbye, why would he throw that away due to pure selfishness? Of course, holding a grudge wasn't exactly his thing, but the number of times he'd already let the blonde walk all over him - the brunette didn't know where he stood on the matter anymore. 

Sometimes, overthinking something and playing out all the possible outcomes clouds your thoughts even more. 

"Come on, man; I haven't been over at yours in what- like a fucking month?" George turned towards the sound of the unfamiliar voice at the front door, along with two pairs of feet trotting alongside the metal railing. His eyes widened at the sound, looking around the room to try and find the right place to hide. 

Dream never came home before the sun went down anymore; the chances of him doing so today were just as slim as any other day. George decided to scurry around the room before situating himself under the bed, one hand firmly over his mouth to muffle the sound of his trembling breathing. 

"Sapnap, now really isn't a good time; seriously, I just want to be alone," Dream. He was there; George wasn't in imminent danger - well, he was, but the feeling of Dream being close enough made him feel oddly safe, regardless of how the blonde had been treating George lately.  

"Dream, you've been acting different the past week," George now heard the front door open; the sound of footsteps was louder now, and the floor below him vibrated with every step taken. "We barely see you anymore, and when you do, you seem to be out of it, plus you don't have your mask anymore- what happened to that?" George didn't know who this Sapnap was, but he could tell there was more to his visit than a simple check-up. How his words slowed down every time he moved to a different side of the room - George could tell the unfamiliar male was looking for something. 

"I've just been alone, Sap; it's no big deal. I'm not hiding anything from you - I have no reason to hide anything from you; you're my best friend." George had never heard the blonde ramble so much in his life, he was usually a good liar, but anyone could tell the nerves evident in Dream's voice now, especially as one pair of boots trailed closer to the bed. 

Sapnap responded with a scoff before speaking again, "You know, Dream, that's cute and all - plus, you raise a good point. You're my best friend too, so I can tell when you're lying,  I can tell when you're hiding something, and most importantly."

Suddenly the bed was lifted from pressing against George's back; the light drew in around George as he was now completely exposed. He looked up at the stranger with his honey-brown eyes - filled with fear. "I can tell when you're protecting the ones you love. Except, last time I checked- come out from under the bed; why are you still lying there, man? I can see you," Sapnap said, a hint of humor in his voice. George immediately did as he was told, crawling out from under the half-hovering bed.  

"Like I was saying, last time I checked, there was no one around you loved- at least not nearly as much as Dris-" George wasn't entirely sure what the man was about to say, but whatever it was struck a nerve within Dream. Once George was finally out from under the bed and cornered himself in the room, the blonde pushed his 'best friend' up against the wall, pulling at the collar of his shirt. 

"Mention her name, and I promise you it's the last fucking thing that comes out of your mouth Sapnap; I swear to god." Her? Who was 'her?'

"Dream, chill; I'm sorry, I didn't know you were still so affected by it." It didn't take long for Dream to let go of the other and glance at the petit boy in the corner of the room. Was that worry in his eyes? Fear? Was Dream afraid of the situation they were in at the moment? George couldn't tell; his mind was so uncertain of so many things this past week that barely any sense was formed. 

"Are you okay?" the blonde asked, moving closer to George. This is the first thing the other has said to the brunette since the night Dream had lost his mask. It caused George's heart to do a little flip. He didn't realize how much he missed communicating with Dream, whether in a civil conversation or having to endure the tall one's nonchalant comments that caused the other to go red in the face. George was about to reply but was suddenly interrupted by the stranger in the room.

"More importantly, who are you?" the shorter one asked, evidently confused. Dream slowly turned his head to his friend and sighed. "You might want to sit down for this one, Sap."

"Oh shit, so this is serious."