8

"Why you-!"

With an oath he shoved to his feet, lifting his hand to strike back. A loud snap of metal brought every man to his feet as we all looked toward the sound. Slowly my assailant turned his head to find the barrel of a shotgun trained on his middle. My breathe froze in my lungs. Not a soul in the room moved.

The man with the wolf stood there, his eyes hard. I could see a shadow of dark stubble across his jaw, the firm set of his lips.

"That ain't no way to treat a lady." His growl sounded like the wolf's. "Let her go."

"You got no right to butt in private conversations that don't concern you!" Though bold, my attacker's voice was suddenly tight. I felt a flare of hope, but my hand was still trapped firmly in his.

"I'd say them welts on your face convey how she feels about your private conversation," was the harsh reply. "There ain't no excuse that can save you after hittin' a woman, let alone a real lady."

"If she wants to object, let her!" the brute snapped, jerking my arm. "You got no call to-!"

"Seein' as you're slow to learn, I'll say it once more." His voice raised goosebumps on my arms. "Let her go."

Unable to argue with the business end of the shotgun the brute let go of my hand. Moving quickly away from him, I dodged around my rescuer searching for my things. Remembering that I left them at the door I didn't wait to see what would happen. Rushing outside, grabbing my luggage as I passed by, I tried not to trip. My heart was slamming against my ribs, muscles shaking horribly at the close encounter. Forget a job in the saloon!

Already at the end of the walkway, I'd stepping down to the street when a deep voice called to me from behind. Not stopping I turned my head to see the tall man coming after me. His expression was stiff, the shotgun held in one hand. The wolf kept pace with him off to one side, but both were looking at me. Slowing down, I waited for him to catch up, trying to calm my breathing.

"You're in an awful hurry to get nowhere." He commented neutrally, the black thunder gone from his voice. Without it, he was much less intimidating.

"I realize I may seem very rude right now, but I do appreciate what you did for me back there." Swallowing, I shivered in reflex, hoping he wouldn't notice. "I just had to get away from that man."

"Can't rightly blame you there," he grinned faintly. "I ain't keen on his company either."

"Thank you for your help." Eager to end the conversation I began backing away. "Excuse me,"

"You got somewhere to be tonight? Didn't figure you had a place to go."

The blunt statement stopped me cold, and I whipped around to look at him, fire and shame flaring in my blood. His expression was blank, so I could not read what he meant by it. Stiffening my spine, I managed to sound firm.

"I do not see how that concern's you. I will care for myself."

"With less than a dollar to your name, I find that hard to believe." He countered quietly. "You need a place to stay for the winter."

My temper flared, helped along by desperation and resentment. I tipped my head back to stare defiantly into his eyes.

"Just who do you think you are? You step in and protect me once and now suddenly I'm indebted to you! I owe you no explanation or account for myself! Now please, leave me alone!"

Filled with anger and fear I whirled around, stalking off. How I wish I had never come here! I wish that I had stayed in Virginia and died on the streets! I wish I had never met Dell Thorne, or Cousin Beatrice! I wanted my life back, I wanted Papa!