26

Kelton was full of people, as if everyone had come out to enjoy the weather and sunshine. The post master's office was next door to the new sheriff's office where we stepped down, tying the horses to the rail next to a drinking trough. Tyler took gentle hold of my elbow as we moved up onto the walkway and crossed to the door. It took only a moment to drop off the letter. Chess Gaines rode by on a big, muscled, long-legged chestnut just as we came out.

Attention fixed on something ahead of him he did not even see us. Tyler stiffened and started off the walk, but I caught his arm. My heart was in my mouth. I couldn't bear the thought of facing him, of having his deep, cruel eyes on me again.

"No! Tyler, let him be!"

"I ain't in a real forgivin' mood, Molly. He stole you away, an' would have done all sorts of unpleasant things. I aim to see he don't attempt it again."

Reaching up, I shyly brushed the tips of my fingers across his cheek. At his startled, puzzled look, I smiled a little.

"You or Kajika have always been at the cabin, every day. He cannot get to me now. Let's not cause trouble over something in the past. Please?"

After staring at me for a long minute, he took my palm and pressed it to his lips. They were surprisingly soft against my flesh and my stomach fluttered with pleasure.

"Only for a woman does a man do foolish things." Looking after Gaines, he noted the man had gone to the saloon. "I reckon if he stays out of my path, I'll stay out of his. For now."

"Thank you."

We walked with my hand on his arm, just strolling past the shops, not going anywhere in particular. I came to a sudden stop. Tyler's brows went up.

"What is it?"

"Didn't you say that I had a second letter?"

"Yeah, yesterday. You didn't read it right off so I," he felt around his jacket pockets and came up empty. "Must've left it in my other shirt."

"Well, if it was from my uncle, my letter will now seem a little strange. I wonder what it says."

"Only one way to find out. You can read it at home."

"I suppose I will have to wait." The fabric shop's display window was distracting. It was still the beautiful West Cork cloak and hood. Tyler's gaze followed mine, and he studied the display for a moment.

"You like it?"

"Very much, it reminds me of Papa. He was a solid Irishman, right to the core. I've never been anywhere, at least, not before I came out here. Papa had this way of talking that brought foreign places right into the living room.

"He would tell me all the old fairy tales and myths, making the fey and dragons come to life. Fantastic tales of brave knights and beautiful maidens, battles won and lost on the far away misty shores of Ireland." My eyes moistened slightly but I smiled as I blinked up at Tyler. "He always brought me home traditional Irish things. He liked to have them in the house, he said."

"I'm sorry Molly."

"No, it's alright. He loved me very much, but he loved Mamma more, and missed her so terribly. The shock of everything..."

Nodding, my husband put his arm around my shoulders, his first public display of affection for me. Leaning my head into him we kept walking, even though I noticed he glanced back at the cloak in the window. Twilight was gathering as we stepped off the walkway. A wonderful aroma of hot food was coming from the hotel restaurant. Taking a deep whiff of it, my stomach began to grumble.