12

He turned back into the house, and I followed quietly, relieved. I'd been ashamed, embarrassed, and frightened to have him see me this way, but there'd been nothing else to do. His reaction was assuring by its utter lack of emotion.

Taking a quick look around the room to see if I'd missed anything, I eased the door closed. The mess had been of epic proportions, but I'd done the best I could in cleaning up. Satisfied that Tyler had not mentioned anything amiss I went into the kitchen, lifting the half barrel of laundry that needed drying. Tyler was stringing thick twine along preset hooks in the ceiling in front of the fire when I went back to the living room. Hearing me, he glanced over his shoulder.

"I saw the clothes and figured you'd be lookin' for a way to dry 'em. The pins are kept there." He nodded toward a small box in the corner of the room. It was slightly embarrassing to still not know where everything was, but until today, we'd been managing our own affairs. Somehow, I felt that needed to stop. As I'd agreed to be his wife, I really ought to keep up with all the housework.

"Thank you, I was looking for something to hang them with."

Stepping back to allow me room to work, his eyes followed me around the small space. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, but I became more and more uncomfortable. Perhaps he was angry with me after all? If I'd had something else to wear-

"You gonna come clean about what happened in here?" He asked. Trying not to cringe, I continued hanging the clothing.

"I have no idea to what you are referring." Testing it out, I knew the lie wasn't going to work. I was neither convincing, nor good at it.

"That a fact?" He scratched the back of his neck for a moment, studying me, then nodded toward the cellar door. "You must have had a whole passel of folks come through here today. Either that or I reckon you worked up a mighty appetite. Whole side of beef skedaddled from the cellar."

Blushing, I had to look away. It was a childish mistake, and I would rather have my eye teeth out than admit it to him. However, I had been found out and might as well own it. Finishing with the last piece of clothing I strode to the door and opened it knowing full well who was standing there waiting to come in. Puyallup eagerly hurried past me and headed into the kitchen to see if the cellar door was open.

Swinging the door closed, I faced Tyler, fully expecting anger or criticism. To my surprise, his expression was a study between laughter and trying to suppress laughter. The wolf reentered the living room and expectantly approached me, his mouth a wide grin. I shook my head firmly at him, pointing stiffly to the corner of the room.

"You're fortunate indeed that you are stronger than me, sir. You've had quite enough to eat for one day. Get into that corner." Giving me a disgruntled look, the animal obeyed and curled up into the corner I pointed at.

"Missus Tyler, will wonders never cease." He was looking at me with genuine respect, laughter still on his lips. "First bear sign, then wolf wrangler. Mighty impressive for a young snippet."

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. I left the door open for just a moment, and before I knew it the whole side of beef was making a dash for the living room!" Still embarrassed, I brushed strands of hair from my brow. "After the time it took me to get it away from him, I had to spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning up. At the end I had to give it back to him anyway, as it was no longer fit for people."

Feeling like a child trying to explain away a mistake to a schoolteacher, I couldn't help resenting my husband. Why was I always making a fool of myself? Still, I swallowed the feelings back, knowing it was an inappropriate time to be touchy. It wasn't Tyler's fault, but mine.