35

So it was. The three of us unsaddled and watered the horses, rubbing them down and brushing their hair smooth and soft. Turning them into the corral Kajika went to the bunkhouse, and Nolan headed to the barn. I stood and waited. Nolan reappeared with a large armful of hay, stacking it up around the base of the poles, tying it in place with the remnants of his bonds.

Kajika came from the bunkhouse with a bottle of whiskey and matches. Thoroughly dousing the posts and the hay, Kajika handed Nolan the matches and stood back. With one sure strike the match lit and Nolan tossed it into the first bundle, moving to the second post to repeat the process. Flames surged upwards consuming the hay and wood, becoming pillars of fire. Black smoke lifted heavenward; thick columns reaching high as the flames increased.

Approaching, Nolan stood behind me, wrapping strong arms around my shoulders as we watched. I could feel the deep pounding of his heart, knowing it was a release of the torment that had haunted him since being left beaten and helpless. Tilting my head back against him, I looked up at his face, and frowned.

"You need a shave, badly."

He merely cocked an eyebrow, and I caught the slight twitch of his lips beneath his beard.

"You need a bath, badly."

I gently elbowed him in the stomach and received a playful swat in return.

"I will wash if you shave." I offered.

"You take a bath right now I just might join you."

"Nolan!" I flushed with embarrassment, but Kajika had the good grace to act deaf.

"Sorry, too much?"

"A little, but don't stop." I turned fully into him, my arms reaching up to catch behind his neck. "Don't ever stop."

He tilted his head to look into my eyes for a moment and he began to smile, that wide brilliant smile I had seen on that long ago night. Leaning down he cupped my chin in his hand and softly met my lips with his, his hair gently scratching my face. Breathing in his scent, tasting him, my arms cinched a little tighter around his neck.

It didn't matter we both reeked of sweat, dirt, and blood. He was mine, just as I was his and we were together. My heart was fluttering like a wild bird, goose flesh racing up and down my spine when he stepped back, slipping his hand into mine.

"I'll help you straighten up the house a mite, then we can pull the tub from the barn an' you can wash and change."

"That sounds wonderful."

Climbing the porch steps Nolan frowned as yellowed piece of paper caught our eyes. It was nailed to the broken door. Ripping it off, his eyes scanning the sheet. He ground his teeth, shaking his head disgust as I saw anger in his eyes.

"What is it?"

"It's a letter from Captain Gregory Bates notifying me that as I did not deliver the mustang stock as agreed, he sent a company of soldiers out here to collect the herd. I will be compensated according to horse value notwithstanding the effort and time of the soldiers I took away from their duties. I must apply in person at Fort Bridger to collect!"

"They stole your horses?" Surprise came first, then panic as I remembered Saoirse had been loose in the yard that day.

"You can't accuse them of theft if the government promises to pay you!" He noticed my frantic look. "It's not as bad as it-"

"Saoirse, where is she? I left her out that last day; she was behind the cabin..."

"Molly-"

"They took her? She was mine!" Like a fragile shell pounded by ocean waves, I began to crack. "You gave her to me! They cannot have taken her!"