45

I sat in the rocker facing the window, gently swaying back and forth as my mind drifted along the almost two years since I'd left Virginia. So many things had happened, so much had changed, I wondered if life would ever resemble normality again. A soft sigh escaped me, and Puyallup raised his head from the fur blanket where he lay to cock his head at me.

"I am fine, my friend, just thinking." I smiled into those large yellow eyes.

The wolf had appeared without warning yesterday, pawing at the door as if nothing had changed, demanding to be let in. He had thoroughly sniffed every square inch of the cabin and had given me an intense exam as well. I supposed there were differences in me he could sense. I was pregnant. For the last four months I spent most of my time right here in the rocker, getting up to cook requiring every last ounce of strength I possessed.

Nolan was extremely patient and understanding, as he was picking up most of the slack. I could hear him outside now, chopping firewood for the long winter months just around the corner. Already the air had crispness to it, the sun no longer burning hot in the midafternoon, frost lingering on the ground until late in the day.

A faint hail and the lowing of a cow brought me slowly to my feet as I made my way to the window. The velvety softness of my West Cork cloak rustled in the stillness. It had been Nolan's gift to me when we'd discovered I was pregnant, and I'd worn it nearly every day since the weather turned. My husband sank the axe blade deep into the stump before going to greet our visitor. Recognizing who it was I went to the door and stepped out onto the porch, Puyallup at my heels. Kajika swung off his pony, dropping the lead on a fat milk cow when he turned and saw me. As usual, his face betrayed nothing. Dark eyes lingering on me, a brief shadow of joy flickered across them.

"I didn't think to see you again so soon, Brother. How you gettin' along?" Nolan clapped the Indian across the shoulders as they put the livestock in the corral before coming to the cabin. He seemed to have let go of his anger.

"The war with the Blue Coats cost many lives, and Eyota fell among the brave Shoshone who fought for freedom. Our people are scattered now, living in small groups, or joining with our brothers."

"I'm real sorry to hear that, Brother, real sorry." They had reached the porch and Nolan gestured inside. "Will you stay for supper?"

"I will stay."

That was all he said. Somehow Nolan and I both knew he was referring to more than just the meal. We exchanged silent smiles. Our family was complete again. Kajika stayed inside with me to help prepare the meal while Nolan finished the wood and washed up.

Once again we were all sat around the table eating in comfortable companionship. A flush of contentment and joy washed through me as I looked between them.

"I am so glad that you are here, Kajika. I think Nolan misses having a man about to talk to."

Those dark eyes looked over at me, warm and friendly.

"I too have missed sitting at the Tyler table." He turned to Nolan reaching into the deep pouch inside his tunic, pulling out a thick bundle that he handed over. "This is for you."

With a slight frown my husband unwrapped the small parcel to reveal a thick stack of paper money carefully bound together. His eyes widened for a long moment, then he looked at the brave, disbelief in his eyes.

"What is this?"

"After the Blue Coats defeated the People in battle, and we mourned the loss of our dead, I took the horses that the Great Chieftain had taken from my Blood Brother and went to Fort Bridger. I told the one in command that I represented the Tyler ranch and was to collect on the mustangs. When I was able to point out the individual horses from our herds, they paid me for them, but then I sold them the horses you gave to the Shoshone. They were battle tested and full of fire, so I bargained for a very good price. That is your money."