Chapter 3 - School - Sofia's POV

It was Monday, and after a busy weekend at the ice rink and completing my homework between skate sessions, I needed some morning hot chocolate to shake off my groggy mood. Anabeth stirred in some thick cream which melted into milky ripples in the steamy chocolate. My mood was somewhat lifted.

I was early to school as per usual, being dropped at the front gates in my Dad's shiny blue Aston Martin. It was new and he felt proud driving it around town with the windows rolled fully down and right arm wrapped over the door.

Today felt busier than normal. I wasn't sure why but still, it put in me a mild state of stress. Or perhaps the panic came from the fact I had a large ice skating competition this Saturday which was going to in front of a large audience and I hadn't yet even run my routine fully through yet.

Shani was already in Stevenson houseroom when I got there at break time. She was sitting back in an armchair, slouched and cross legged, looked grungy and antisocial.

"Hey?! SHANI! Are you there?" I waved a hand up and down her face. She was completely zoned out, and after a few seconds, looked up, startled.

"Sofia! Sorry I'm just tired. I was up until three finishing my art portfolio."

She rubbed her sagging eyes and sat up. I asked her how her art had been going recently and the topic soon moved to this and that, nothing noteworthy, just general chitchat.
I found out Shani was going to start attending after school art studio sessions, and that Kevin had been destroying home furniture.

School dragged past slowly, as it always did on a Monday.