Chapter 5 - Dinner - Sofia's POV

Anabeth picked me up in the family car and drove home. I found my mother cooking a risotto dish for dinner and my dad was in his study on a business call. Henrick and Olivia were playing badminton in the garden - though very badly.

I helped mother chop and boil the broccoli for the risotto, before heading to my bedroom to start my homework.

Half an hour or so later, Anabeth rang the dinner bell and the family gathered around the dinner table.
It was noisy and messy and Henrock stained the new white tablecloth with his blackcurrant cordial.

I noticed my parents looking over the table at each other. Something important was on their mind.

I looked at them both until it was obvious I wanted them to spill whatever was clearly bothering them.

"Your skating competition on Saturday..." Mother lay her cutlery on by the side of her plate before continuing. "Well, we don't want to put any more pressure than necessary on you..."

"Yeah..." I urged on the conversation, internally stressing where this was going. I had put in so many hours of training for this competition over the last six months and I really needed it to pay off.

"Well we've had a letter from your coach that Lady Farquaad and her family are coming to spectate the event. They own a prestigious skate academy in London and are scouting for young skaters that have great potential.This should come as exciting news but it does mean you must put your all in."

I gulped, this was a lot to take in. It would be my dream to go to a high end skating academy but even thinking about it make my stomach churn, as I knew it would never be a reality.

I must have looked sad during that thought because Mother chimed, trying to relieve my panic with "But of course, it is highly unlikely you or anyone at your club will be chosen by Lady Farquaad, as there is so much competition and so many astounding skaters in the area. And even if the routine doesn't go as well as you would like it to, we still know how great you are." She smiled and held Father's hand. I was feeling better about it now. My Mother had a nack for raising my spirits.

After dinner I returned to my bedroom and got into bed clothes. I needed an early night so I could think about the competition and head my head in the game for Saturday.