1

I LOOKED at the woman who sat across the table from me, while she talked to her colleagues, and gave me glances ever so often, as well. Ben planned to introduce me to everyone that day, since I was a new attorney at the firm. With my many years of experience, I'd managed to snag a job as the head of Criminal Defense, replacing the last person who'd taken early retirement.

I was flattered by the attention that I was getting from the raven-haired woman, who unsubtly checked me out. But, I couldn't blame her. I did the same. She did seem about half my age, and too far down the corporate ladder for my liking, but there was no harm in checking out what was hot inside of the room.

I studied her pretty face. Her eyes were dark, a slightly lighter shade than black—dark brown precisely. Her lips were formed into a small smile—a smile that genuinely seemed just for me.

Sitting up in my seat, I redirected my attention to Ben. He sat at the head of the table, since he was the Chairman of the Board. I wondered where the General Partner was. I would've thought that she wanted to be there or, at least, had to be there since it was her firm, and she should've been present at all meetings. If I remember correctly, her name was Addison Chase, which the law firm, Chase and Associates, was named after.

I picked up the folder that was in front of me, one just like everyone had, and looked at it blankly, as my eyes focused back and forth between the folder and the woman's beautiful face. Looking around the room, the faces of other attorneys were seemingly glancing at her, as well. Maybe, she was that beautiful to look at.

But, they still looked at her with something that I couldn't quite understand— leadership, I guessed. She must've been great at her job, not close to better than me, but she seemed to have a sort of dedication. A woman like her might've made it up the corporate ladder in no time, but it still would've taken a while. She didn't seem older than her late twenties, which meant that she was, at most, in her third year as a registered lawyer.

The meeting proceeded, and my eyes were still focusing and refocusing on her, something about her intrigued me, which wasn't something that I was used to. Someone tapped my shoulder, immediately snapping me out of my thoughts. Ben said, "Miss Kepner, I was just saying that you're going to take over all the cases Tyrion left behind, including our top case at the moment, defending the son of the James family," I nodded, remembering that I'd read the case file the night before. The son of one of our top clients was being prosecuted for the murder of his high school girlfriend. A pretty cliché case, since I had enough run-ins with clients being accused of the same. The case seemed to point all evidence to him being guilty, but I was sure that I could get him off, which was one way to prove myself to the firm. I wanted to show them that I was indeed great at my job, but I also hoped that he wasn't guilty. Nothing's worse than defending someone who actually did it, "do you have anything to say?" Ben asked and I took a breath before speaking.

"I just want everyone to know that I'm here to be as helpful as I can. I'm open to criticism, ideas and different perspectives. Don't be afraid to call me out on anything that you think can be done better, or in a different way. Even if you're wrong, there's no harm in saying what's on your mind. We're all here to learn and grow," my eyes met the woman's again, as the room erupted in a welcoming applause. The woman smirked, and the flicker in her eyes notified me that she'd enjoyed my little speech, "I'd also like to know who I'll be working with on the James case."

Ben nodded, but the raven-haired woman spoke before he had a chance, "I am," you've got to be kidding me. Her voice was stern, not something I'd expected from her seemingly, bubbly exterior.

I did wonder if the case was becoming child's play. For such an important case, I'd expected someone more experienced to work alongside with, "I doubt that's a good idea. I'd think someone with more experience would be better fitted," there goes my chances. I voiced my opinion, not caring if I offended her. I was very straightforward, and knew that I was almost, always right.

Ben cleared his throat, and I could see a wide grin spread its way across her lips. She didn't seem offended, neither did it seem to bother her much. I looked around the room again to see everyone whispering to each other, and my jaw twitched. A bunch of gossips. I hated being gossiped about.

Looking back at Ben, he shifted in his seat, "you're right, Miss Kepner. That's why you're working with Addison Chase," that's frickin' unbelievable.