2

I was left baffled for a moment, and the room had fallen silent. Swallowing the frog inside of my throat, I looked at her straight in the eye. I couldn't believe that I just insulted my Boss. I'm an ageist bitch.

Addison said, "small mistake. Let's not make a big deal of it. At the moment, I have something very urgent to tend to, so is there anything else to discuss?" Let's discuss all the reasons why you're so youthful and gorgeous, shall we?

Ben shook his head, and the meeting was adjourned. Everyone walked out in an orderly manner. I was left there seated, replaying what happened in my head. You're a fucking idiot.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and looked up to see that it was Ben's. I sighed, knowing that I'd humiliated myself, and on my first day, for Christ's sake. God, help me, "I didn't expect her to be so young," what did I expect? Maybe next time you get a job, research who your boss is, Samantha.

"She's a smart one. The firm wouldn't be so successful without her," Ben mentioned.

I nodded, as we walked out the door, and headed towards his office. Mine was in the opposite direction, "anyway, I think I'm going to get started with getting up to date with all the client files," I just need some time alone to wallow.

I was about to make a detour to my office, when Ben placed his hand on my arm to stop me, "you have the rest of the day off, Samantha," really?

My brows furrowed, as he removed his hand, "I want to start work as soon as possible," I could actually use the time away.

"And you will start tomorrow. Go home, clear up your mind, and don't make a fool of yourself again," hopefully, I won't. He smiled at me.

"Okay, but tomorrow I'm making up for it," I went to my office to collect my satchel, before heading towards the elevator. Only four hours, and you managed to become an arrogant bitch, Samantha. Next time, shut your mouth.

After pressing the button, I crossed my arms over my chest, as I waited. My daughter was performing in her school's concert, and I thought that I'd miss it. But since I was given the rest of the day off, I was happy that I could've, at least, made my little girl happy. Well, she wasn't little anymore. She only had a few more months before she graduated high school. They grow up so fast. I sighed.

The elevator door opened, and I walked in. Someone then yelled for me to hold it open. I placed my hand in between the doors, stopping the elevator from closing, and the person walked in. With my luck, it was my Boss. She smiled at me, as she pressed her designated floor button, which was mine, as well. Can things get anymore awkward?

She did say that she had something urgent to tend to, so she must've been leaving for the day, as well. I cleared my throat. I asked, "did you approve of me taking the rest of the day off?" Of course, you did. You're the Boss, after all. I gripped the strap of my satchel firmer. For some reason, I felt tense around her.

"It's my idea, actually. I wanted to take you through the James case, but since I have other plans for today, it made sense for you to start fresh tomorrow."

"I do have other cases," can't you show some appreciation, Samantha? The elevator door opened, and a few people in suits walked in, all seeming to know who she was. We didn't say anything else for the rest of the elevator ride, and when we reached the lobby, we both walked out.

"I have decided to work with you alongside all of your cases," wait, what?

"Any particular reason?" I asked.

She nodded. I wanted an explanation, "all of your cases at the moment are for some of our top clients, the people that I know how to handle."

"So, you're saying that I can't handle them?" I stopped walking, and she did as well.