Mirabel

Her mind was racing. Thoughts of cracks and long-lost uncles made sure she was wide awake all night.

What did it all mean?

Her tío Bruno disappeared when he was fifteen. Everyone had assumed he had run away and died outside the Encanto. But, had he been in the future instead?

Mirabel had eavesdropped on the adults talking about it after Bruno had run off. They were convinced that the miracle was responsible for his return. That, maybe, he had run into trouble on his journey and the magic had sent him into the future to save him.

Either way, it couldn't be a coincidence. What were the chances that the same day her tío returned, was the same day the cracks had appeared?

Any answers, however, had been locked away with Bruno in his room.

But there was one person in this house that heard everything. If anyone knew anything, it would be Dolores. So, once everyone began preparing for breakfast, Mirabel attacked. She cornered her cousin while she was stacking arepas on her plate.

"Dolores! Hey!" Mirabel said, nonchalantly sliding up to her prima, "You know, out of all my older cousins, you're like my favourite cousin. So I feel like I could talk to you about everything."

A look of hurt crossed Dolores' face making Mirabel pause slightly before continuing, "... like last night with the crack and - Dolores? What's wrong?"

Dolores looked really uncomfortable and upset. Which hadn't been Mirabel's intention at all.

"Camilo! Stop pretending to be Dolores so you can have seconds." Her tío Felix scolded as he walked up to the table. Mirabel turned to look at 'Dolores' with shock.

Camilo dropped the transformation. He looked away from Mirabel, muttering something about having work to do, before running away. Tío Felix looked at Camilo's retreating form in shock and shouted after him. "Camilo? Camilo! Where are you going? It's time for breakfast!"

Felix shot the real Dolores a worried look. "Qué le pasó? He didn't even eat anything?"

Dolores gave Mirabel a side glance. "I'll go talk to him Papá... Just let Abuela know we won't be there for breakfast today."

Her tío hesitated before nodding. He gave Dolores a quick hug and kiss on the forehead. "Take care of your hermano, okay?"

As Felix walked away, Dolores grabbed Mirabel's arm and whispered. "The only one worried about the magic is you."

Dolores started walking away before stopping. "Oh. And Luisa. I could hear her eye twitching all night. Even before tío Bruno showed up."

With a squeak, Dolores ran into town after her brother.

Mirabel set her eyes on her next target. Luisa's eyes never twitched. She had to know something! Of course, before Mirabel could interrogate her sister, Abuela called out for everyone to gather for breakfast.

Mirabel swiftly stole the seat next to Luisa. She gave a sheepish grin to her tía who thundered in response. Abuela looked at the table, noticing her cousins' glaringly empty seats.

"Where are Camilo and Dolores?"

Tío Felix squeezed Pepa's hand nervously. "Camilo ran off earlier. Dolores went to get him. She said to start without them."

"I see... I will have to talk to Camilo later." Abuela tsked. Mirabel winced at the stern tone.

"What happened?" Tía Pepa quietly hissed to her husband, a large cloud forming.

"Pepa. The cloud." Abuela scolded, causing Pepa to start stroking her braid and chant 'clear skies'.

Abuela took a deep breath. She turned to look at Mirabel's mother with a hopeful expression. "and Bruno?"