Bruno

Bruno has never had the best relationship with sleep. His nights were filled with vague visions of the future that mixed with dreams and distorted in such a way that they became indecipherable. It was worse with nightmares. It left him anxiously trying to determine which parts were prophecies and which parts were fantasies.

He refused to sleep since that happened. The thought of it haunting his dreams kept him up. If it appeared in his dreams, there was a possibility that it was a prophecy.

He can’t go through that again. He can't.

But he was exhausted. Emotionally, mentally, physically.

Staying awake wouldn’t have been a problem in his own room. It was cold and uncomfortable and left him too anxious to sleep. But the nursery, where he had grown up with his sisters, was warm and safe. It didn’t help that this was his first time in a bed since he had that stupid vision that ruined everything.

Despite his best efforts, the comforting blankets and Mirabel’s soft snores lulled him to sleep.

Bruno was running through the forest. He had to get away. If Bruno stopped for even a second, they would catch him and he would die. He ran until he stumbled upon a clearing with a river. Bruno felt peace fall over him.

A small yellow butterfly circled around him lazily. It looped around twice before landing on a green stalk. Bruno smiled at it as it flapped its wings gently in the slight breeze. He waded through the river to get a better look.

Just as he reached it, the wind picked up and the sky darkened. The butterfly was swept into the now raging river. Bruno lunged forward, trying to save it. He could only watch in despair as the bright yellow disappeared into the murky water.

No! He needed to save it. He needed to-

“Do you not care about your family? Is that why you left us, Bruno?”

Bruno spun around to see his mother and sisters. They glared at him. He could only watch in horror as their faces melted until their older versions took their place.

“No!” Bruno tried to reach them, but a crack tore through the floor, blocking the way. “I love you. Please. I didn’t mean for this to happen.”

He could only see hatred and disgust in their faces. “Monster.”

Bruno flinched. “No. No. I didn’t mean to. I swear.”

They turned their backs to him and started walking away.

“No.” He begged. “Please. I’m sorry.”

“You deserve to burn in hell.”

The floor beneath him cracked open, and he dropped into the abyss. A hand grabbed his, keeping him from falling to his death. He looked up to see Mirabel. She was leaning dangerously over the edge. She was going to fall.

“Mirabel you have to let me go!”

Mirabel’s teary eyes looked at him accusingly. She looked betrayed. “This is all your fault.”

And they both fell.

Bruno woke up with his heart pounding. Once he calmed down he groaned, stuffing his face into the pillow. He felt worse than he did before.