Mirabel

Mirabel's head spun at the number of people who had hurt her uncle. People who had lynched him. People who had thought anxious, selfless Bruno deserved to die.

People who she had lived with her whole life.

How could she not notice? How could she not know they were capable of this.

How could this have happened? How could it have almost happened again?

The most notable name of the bunch was Andrés Guzmán. The leader. Guzmán, the name of the family Isabela was going to marry into.

Guzmáns, who had wisely taken the distraction as an opportunity to run. Ran before the family's wrath could fall upon them.

The townspeople who had knocked ran away the first opportunity they could. Chased away by lightning summoned by Pepa's rage.

Now, the storm had calmed into a heavy rainfall. Camilo had sat in the back with his mother, soothing her and the hurricane.

Mirabel's mother pushed forwards, angry eyes settled onto her father and tío Felix. "Did you know?"

Mirabel's heart sputtered for a second. She hadn't even realized what her mother had.

Could her father and uncle have known this whole time?

The two, terrified under Julieta's rage, shook their heads quickly.

"No. But I should've realized." Her father said guiltily. "The town has never liked Bruno. And there were stories. Stories about slaying a demon."

'Mi Abuela said the green demon of Encanto has returned.'

"In hindsight," Agustin continued looking pale. "Those stories and what happened to Bruno... Well, they are very similar."

The house shook. At this point, Mirabel couldn't tell if it was the Miracle dying or an earthquake caused by Pepa. Both were equally likely.

"We have to find Bruno," Abuela said before giving Mirabel a side-eye. "We will deal with everything else later."

It should have stung, but at this point, Mirabel was beyond caring about what her Abuela thought of her.

The family ended up splitting up to search for Bruno. Everyone was assigned a sector of town to look in. Everyone but Mirabel. Mirabel was told to stay at home and watch over Antonio. Antonio, whose job was to alert everyone should Bruno come back on his own.

No one listened to her when she tried to tell them Bruno had gone out back. Instead, she was ignored and pushed aside.

Typical.

So she didn't complain when everyone left. Because she knew something they didn't seem to realize, Bruno was terrified of the town. He would never go there willingly - not unless someone was in danger.

No, Bruno was not in town.

"Antonio, stay here, okay?" Mirabel said as she walked towards the back door.

"But Abuela said you have to stay here," Antonio said as he followed her anxiously.

"Well, I don't care what Abuela thinks," Mirabel said, and for once, she believed it. "I'll be back soon, okay?"

Antonio looked worried as he stood in the doorway, watching Mirabel as she walked into the storm. Mirabel gave him her best calming smile and left. She quickly started looking for any signs of Bruno.

And then she saw them. She found shoeprints in the mud, filled with water. She quickly followed them down the path and to what she recognized was the graveyard.