chapter nine: sand heart

Deiji stands still beside the clothes rack, her focus set completely on ironing the hanging outfits. Not a single crease should be seen.

  Meanwhile, Jaemin is sitting a short distance away, amused from watching her as he enjoys the sweet refreshments.

  He so badly wants to approach her. Yesterday, he planned to talk again after his practice but she didn't reply and it was slightly unnerving him.

  Was she annoyed? Was he being too nosy?

  "If you're not gonna eat it then, I will," Donghyuck says and snatches the small bag of sweet potato chips from Jaemin as he takes the seat beside him.

   The both of them lean against the couch as they watch Deiji who is still set on the clothes.

  "Hardworking, isn't she?" Haechan sighs out, amazed at her ability to be so committed.

  "Very," Jaemin proudly answers and the other scoffs. It's clear he holds a different type of affection for Deiji compared to the other staffs.

  Haechan crosses his leg and shakes his dangling foot. "So, have you found out if she's single?"

  The question strikes Jaemin back to reality, his mood now sour.

  "No... Not yet," Nana answers.

  The other nudges him. "There's your chance."

  Deiji walks away from the rack, finished with smoothening creases and is now heading to the back room- a smaller, more narrow room where they put extra or backup stuff.

  Jaemin follows with a metre gap, not wanting to seem creepy and pauses at the closed door. He does a breathing exercise, nervous.

  What is he supposed to ask?

  Hey, don't wanna be nosy or nothing but are you singlㅡ No, that's exactly being nosy.

  I noticed that your phone goes off a lot. Got a clingy boyfriend or something, hahahaㅡ What even is this??

You into romance? Because I'm a romanticㅡ Stop. Justㅡ Stop.

  He groans and leans his head against the door, eyes shut and brows furrowed in frustration. Just ask. Just be yourself.

  Jaemin turns and reached for the doorknob until he hears her talking inside.

  "No, I haven't eaten yet. Yeah, they're going on stage in a little bit so I have time to spare. Yeah, I'm sure. After all, it's been long since we had a proper date," Deiji talks with someone on the phone and Jaemin's heart sinks.

  Date?

  A giggle from her causes his ears to perk more and she presses himself against the door before he hesitates.

  It's rude to eavesdrop. This is going against his morals but-

  Deiji's smiling face surfaces in his head and he chews his lip in guilt.

  Curiosity's got the best of him.

  "I'll be able to go in a few minutes- 5, maybe? So I'll see you soon. Mhm," Deiji says and again, lets out a titter that both aches and embraces Jaemin. "Yeah, yeah, love you too."

  That was it.

  CRACK!

  He can hear his heart shattering into pieces. One by one, he feels the fine shards drop like sand onto his feet.

  Jaemin stays frozen from disbelief until he hears her hang up the call and he hastes away.