chapter twelve: a hazardous step

The two's staring contest is cut short by Deiji looking away with a laugh.

  "No, I'm not dating anyone, Jaemin," she chuckles and begins to turn away but is held back by Jaemin holding her gently by the arm.

  She looks up at him who stares down at her endearingly yet, intensely- a tenderly sharp gaze.

  "But last time... I heard you went out on a date," Jaemin carefully says- slightly scared that he'll get himself a slap if she finds out about him eavesdropping on her previous call.

  Yet, she didn't seem to mind. "Ah! You mean the one when I was talking through the phone? That was just a lunch date with my cousin! She and I are really close, we're like best friends so we talk like that."

  Jaemin stares at her and Deiji suddenly feels a weird vibe encircling them- like a sense of heavy jealousy slowly diminishing. Or has it been there since the beginning?

  "Ah, really~?" He sings, playful and merry once again.
"So that's how it is~"

  She squeaks when he abruptly squeezes her in his arms into a tight bear hug- cooing and digging his nose into her hair.

  Pairs of eyes watch them curiously, wondering and honestly, puzzled at the mushy interaction between staff and idol.

  "Jaemin," she whispers and he hums questioningly to which she nudges to the people watching.

  He giggles and skips away with a tune past his lips.

  The staffs all stare at Deiji who grins awkwardly but soon they turn away. If it was any other member, they probably would've paid more attention- interrogating her on what's between them.

  But when it comes to Jaemin, there's plenty of occasions where he acts outside their expectations. He needs no explanations for his behaviour.

  Deiji clears her throat and goes back to work when a chime from her phone distracts her.

[na jaemin]:
Let's go on a date :)

  "Deiji, you okay? You're looking a little flushed," a fellow co-worker comments and Deiji instantly pulls away, hiding her screen from the other.

  "Huh? Yeah, I'm good. I am feeling a little rundown so I think I'm gonna sit down in the waiting room for a bit. Could you take over for me?"

  Jina nods and hastily urges the other away. "You really should get some rest! You work too hard sometimes, Deiji."

  Upon slipping into the empty waiting room, she quickly powers her screen again- gasping at the surprising text.

  "Wha... What does he mean date??"

  "I meant it exactly how you think it is," Jaemin then, says- popping out from behind the curtain of the fitting cubicle and Deiji freezes.

  He must've been hiding from the social world again.

  A playful grin on his face as he stands dangerously close in front of her, she's sandwiched between him and the wall- but from the way his pretty brown eyes glint, it's exactly how he wants it to happen.

  The gap between them almost non-existent, the air around her is infused with his cologne and his presence- making her all weak in the knees.

  "Let's go on a date, Deiji. Tonight," Jaemin declares so confidently that Deiji finds it almost impossible to decline.

  Decline... The thought never crossed her mind. She, herself, knows she wants to go on this date.

  It's risky. It's hazardous, but...

  Her hands clench into fists and she nods firmly, brows in a determined furrow.
"What's the time and place?"