Into the Night

(banner texture credit: so-ghislaine.deviantart.)

John made his way to the guest bedroom with his own set of towels and bathrobe. He had acquired an extra set for Sherlock, for he’d predicted that Sherlock would crash in his room after getting in contact instead of “wasting” the time to find his own. When he entered the guest bedroom, John was overwhelmed at the warmth and coziness of it all. He had expected to find it uncomfortably large and chilly.

“Very nice,” John commented as he placed the towel sets on a nearby chair. His eyes met the thick mattress, and, thinking only of smothering himself in the bed’s heavy comforter, John kicked off his shoes and slipped out of his jacket and trousers. He folded his clothes over another chair and crawled into bed. Instant gratification tingled from the tips of his hair to his toes the moment he pulled the quilt up around his neck. Snuggling further into the mattress, John closed his eyes and drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

During the night, John felt a warm, fleshy item press over his mouth. His eyes flung open and his body jumped at the sight of a tall figure hovering over him. If it hadn’t been for the contour of a popped collar, John would’ve reached for a weapon.

“I’ve got a story, John,” the deep voice said as the owner’s hand slipped from his friend’s face.

Rubbing his eyes, John sat up in bed and tapped the bedside lamp. He was greeted with a grinning Sherlock, who held three transparent cards.

Nodding to the objects, John asked in a droning voice, “What are those?”

“Cellophane paper. Had Mrs. Hudson pick them up—,”

“No, no, no, I know what they are. I meant, why do you have them?”

Sherlock’s eyebrows popped up in excitement and he sprung onto the bed, landing Indian style.  He placed the three cards out in front of his partner and began rapidly, “These are the colours on the triangle string: white, blue, and gold. Now, you must listen carefully, otherwise you’ll miss a lot.” Sherlock rubbed his hands together and straightened his arms so that his sleeves flew up past his elbows.  Pointing to the white card, Sherlock began systematically –

“The white card stands for the duchess. It means purity, wholeness, and virginity. The blue card stands for you (I’m assuming), it stands for loyalty and kindness. The gold, obviously, stands for me. It means wisdom and success. Now, knowing the meaning of those three cards, you can combine the colours and get a totally different meaning. However, let me begin from a different direction.”

Sherlock shifted onto his knees and tore his jacket off. He stared down at the cards zealously and started up again. “White can also stand for loneliness and cautiousness.   Blue can also stand for nighttime or home. Gold can also represent morning.” Holding his finger in front of John, Sherlock picked up the cards and held them in his hands. “Are you listening carefully now?”

John nodded his head. “Yes, yes, I’m listening.”

Not satisfied with John’s confirmation, Sherlock sent a strong slap across his face, sending him crashing into his pillow.

“Bloody hell, Sherlock!” John cried out, his eyes stretched in surprise and anger.

Smiling happily to himself, the detective said, “Good. You’re fully awake now.”

Massaging the back of his head, John leaned forward, giving his full attention to Sherlock. He gave him a quick nod, letting him know he could continue.

“Here’s the plan—remember that this all is centered around a triangle—all right, so, the duchess,” Sherlock picked up the white card, “is alone, at night,at home.” He laid the blue card on top of the white. “White and blue combined creates the colour turquoise that means: calmness. However, the calmness was disturbed.” Sherlock gathered all the cards together, making the colour black. “Obviously, the colour black stands for something ominous.”