Unfinished Equations

John’s elbow slipped from the surface he had steadied it on, causing him to wake up. His eyes opened and closed when a beam of sunlight hit his face. Blocking the irritating glow, John scanned the room he was in and found it uncomfortable that he didn’t recognize it. He noticed that he was still dressed and sitting in a very pleasing chair. He didn’t know exactly where he was until he saw the duchess sleeping in the bed across from him.

“Oh God,” John sighed, almost in shame at what he could’ve happened between them after they had kiss. The heavy sleep had numbed his memory, and it took him all that he had to remember what had happened. The doctor recalled that he had taken her hand and that she led him upstairs. When they got to her bedroom, he kissed her on the cheek and then told her he was going to leave.

John shifted in his chair and stroked his chin in thought. Slowly the pieces began pulling together. “Stay,” was a word he remembered most from the duchess’s lips. And of course, he did. But he kept his distance because he admired the lady far too much to cross such a risky border.

As he sat in the chair, gazing at Alana, John’s phone beeped.  Reaching into his back pocket, he pulled it out and glanced at the caller ID. It was Mrs. Hudson. Finding it strange that he’d receive a text from his landlady (for she had never texted him before), John opened the message.

“Come to baker st. quickly. There’s something wrong with Sherlock. - Mrs. H.”

John leaped from his chair, wakening the duchess.

“Are you all right?” Alana asked in shock before collapsing back onto her pillow. “John?”

Patting the air, John replied hurriedly, “Go back to sleep. I’ve got to return to Baker Street. Something’s gone wrong.”

Alana pushed herself onto her elbows while keeping the sheets over her chest. “What’s wrong?”

“No, never mind, don’t go back to sleep. Come with me—don’t want you kidnapped while I’m gone!” John left the room and waited downstairs for her to dress. On his way downstairs, Alana’s lady-in-waiting crossed paths with him.

In a suspicious tone, Elizabeth prodded, “What were you doing upstairs? Coming out from Her Grace’s room?”

Faltering over his words, John answered with a sharp, “Nothing. Nothing at all. Just a message I had to deliver. We’re going out to see Sherlock Holmes. We can’t be delayed so, if you’ll excuse us.”

Feeling as if John wasn’t in his proper place, Elizabeth snapped, “Mind your place here, Doctor Watson. I’m Her Grace’s right hand servant and I expect you to even respect me. And if you stole her in the middle of the night, I swear that I’ll put a price on your head.”

Smirking, John replied calmly, “Nothing’s stolen, ma’am. Though, whatever she gave away willingly to me is none of your business.”

Elizabeth gasped and tromped up the stairs, muttering curses under her tongue until she entered Alana’s room. Upon entering, the duchess let out an exclamation of excitement.

“Ah! Elizabeth! You’ve come just in time to make sure I leave this place properly. I’m going out with Doctor Watson.  There seems to be a trouble at Baker Street and he wants me to come along since he has temporary watch over me.”

“We’ve got security guards for that, Your Grace,” Elizabeth remarked coldly. “You don’t need a slow-minded army doctor looking after you.”

Alana pulled on her blazer and slipped into her flats. Staring into her mirror, she said stiffly, “I’m old enough to know who I trust. But, thank you for your concern, Elizabeth.”