Last Moments Before Hell

(Movie poster by CheyenneRayne)

John blew his cheeks out in both anger and confusion at his latest conversation with his friend. He knew something wasn’t right because Sherlock’s voice trembled. Sherlock wasn’t one to break down in emotions; he was apathetic and didn’t care who John saw.

The doctor didn’t know how much anger he exuded until Alana mentioned something upon him entering the downstairs. “Are you all right, love?”

Mrs. Hudson’s mouth parted and she turned to the duchess and then at John. She hadn’t been aware of the affection between them, and it was quite a surprise to hear the Duchess of Cornwall address John in such a fond manner.

“It’s Sherlock, don’t worry about it. Anyway, I should take you back to your place.” John went up to Alana and helped her out of the chair. “Thank you again, Mrs. Hudson. Hope you had a nice talk with Alana.”

“Indeed we did, John!” Mrs. Hudson declared brightly, placing her tea onto the table in front of her. “I do hope we get to see her again.”

John gave her a doubting smile and hurried Alana to the door.

“What’s the matter, John?” Alana asked as she winced at John’s roughness. He steadied her for a moment so that he could pull her coat on. “John?”

“We’ll talk in the cab.” He ushered her out and flung his hand up in the air towards the traffic. As he waited for a cab to notice them, John looked up at the Sherlock’s window and pursed his lips.

“The cab’s here,” Alana said meekly, drawing her arms close to her body. She felt John’s hand on her waist and then the expected push into the cab. He followed after her and slammed the door behind them.

“Alana,” John began, rubbing his hands anxiously. “Do you think I’m an old bloke?”

“What are you talking about?” the girl laughed. “It doesn’t cross my mind.”

“Well, let’s say a younger man comes along and you fancy him. What happens then?”

“John. Don’t talk like this. You sound like a little school boy whose five-year old crush is swooning for the teacher.” She reached out and placed a hand on his leg. Looking him in the eyes, she said sweetly, “Don’t talk like that.”

Scratching the back of his head and the side of his nose, John fidgeted in his seat and threw his eyes out the window. Through a stubborn jaw, he stared at the dark streets and allowed his mind to wander into thoughts made up of anger and hurt. He didn’t want to believe Sherlock, but it was so easy to. He had only met the duchess recently, and their relationship was blinded in a love that could easily dissolve into memories.

“I know you think I’m silly, young, and wealthy,” Alana spoke in a soft voice. “But, you don’t know how much I feel towards you. How much more I want to feel—I can’t get enough of you, John Watson.”

John continued to stare out the window, but, Alana could tell that he was listening attentively.

“I don’t care what you think I might do, because it isn’t true. I don’t know how to tell you that I would never hurt you. I don’t care if your friend, Mr. Holmes, doesn’t like me. I love you.”

“Would you love me forever?” John turned to her and studied those brown eyes he grew to love so much. “I know that love should be shown rather than just spoken, but, I need assurance that you’re not going to leave me like all the other women in my life.”

Alana broke into a beaming smile and she threw her arms around John’s neck. Through tears, she confessed from the center of her soul, “I will never leave you, John. You’ve given me hope, faith, and everything I thought I could never feel. I just.” Alana paused and pulled away just enough so that their lips touched. “I just want to know that you trust me.”