5

The delivery was a huge success.

Despite the collision incident the shipment had arrived a few ticks earlier than expected. This was a pleasant surprise to the biofarm owners, who expressed nothing but gratitude as the crew detached and unloaded the cargo to where they needed it. Everything moved along smoothly, and their accounts were automatically paid in full through ASAP's system as soon as the delivery was labeled as 'complete'.

Upon re-entry of the ship, Eskel was greeted by Chor. It was company policy to have at least one crew member remain on board during deliveries for security reasons, but the fluffy inventor had actually volunteered to keep an eye on their little guest while they were docked. The captain had no hesitation in trusting her with that, curious himself about the Human's actions but too busy to observe them.

Jocker brushed past the two of them as they stopped to chat in the cargo bay, but they paid him little mind. He'd been especially grumpy lately and neither of them wanted to risk any steam. 

"So, did anything happen while we were gone?"

Eskel asked as he undressed some of his equipment, placing it in the small storage area by airlock doors. He wasn't expecting much of a response, but Chor practically buzzed in excitement.

"Yes! They came out of hiding, and communicated with me! I learned so much, they're really expressive."

Eskel shot her a look of interest, urging her to hastily spill more as they made their way up to the ship's main floor. 

"They're very shy, but brave enough to let me come close! I think they were expressing hunger, so I gave them some of the fruit they were taking-- and I think they liked it? I'm not sure how fast their metabolism works but I've recorded everything in my studylog, and I'll see if they need more later."

Chor went quiet just before they reached the organics room, hesitating for a moment before stepping in front of Eskel and cutting him off. If it were anyone else the captain would be irritated, but this strange behaviour from his friend only intrigued him.

"...Can I bring up a concern?"

"Of course." 

"I know I proposed it, but I'm not so sure the biomatter container is a great place for them to stay. I had to change the water supply already, which they seem to be using for hygienical care, and I worry about the long-term effects of their isolation…"

Chor wanted to say more but she trailed off, thinking about the brief amount of info available in ASAP's database. While she knew that they had very few other options, she didn't like the thought of accidentally worsening the Human's state. She, like everyone else on board, had no idea of the specifics required for one to live healthily, but it was obvious that this wouldn't work forever.

Eskel looked down at Chor, a little lost in thought. He knew that she was right, and something deep inside of him tugged on his morals for keeping an intelligent being locked up like this. But it wasn't like he could just ask what was needed, not directly. Until the Human could advocate for itself and they could all discuss the situation with civility, they were to be treated as a prisoner for intrusion and theft.

And as far as prison cells in space went, this was not so bad.

After a considerably hefty pause, Eskel spoke up. He didn't want his comrades to worry.

"We cannot do much for socialization or accommodations if it's too afraid to tell us. Besides, this is only temporary until we can form a stable way of communication. We will help with what we can when we understand but for now, without knowing it's intentions, there is little we can do."