Chapter 1: The Time-Turner

Notes:
Original Version on Ao3- read there if that is your preference. 
⚠I don't support JKR!
Start is from page 418 of Prisoner of Azkaban.

Hermione had been using the time-turner for quite a while now. McGonagall gave it to her so that she could attend more classes than time would allow - 12 in total. She made sure to keep this a secret, even when Ron started questioning her about how she is taking all of these classes when half of them run at the same time, ("How're you supposed to be in three classes at once?") McGonagall made her swear not to tell anyone after it had taken a lot of persuasions to lend her one at the Ministry. She was adamant about keeping McGonagall's promise...until now when really she had no other choice:

"Now pay attention," said Dumbledore, speaking very low, and very clearly. "Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor. Thirteenth window from the right of the West Tower. If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life tonight. But remember this, both of you. You must not be seen. Miss Granger, you know the law - you know what is at...you - must - not- be -seen."

Hermione gulped at Dumbledore's seriousness. He was quite scary actually - the scariest Hermione's ever seen him. Harry looked at her in bewilderment.

Dumbledore had turned on his heel and looked back as he reached the door.

"I am going to lock you in. It is-" he consulted his watch, "five to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

"Good luck?" Harry repeated, looking completely muddled as the door slammed behind Dumbledore. "Three turns? What's he talking about? What are we supposed to do?"

Hermione fumbled at the neck of her robes, reaching for the time-turner and pulling it out, revealing the long, fine gold chain.

"Harry, come here," she said urgently. "Quick!"

Harry moved towards her, looking slightly concerned. She held the chain in front of him.

"Here-" she threw it around his neck too. "Ready?" she asked breathlessly.

"What are we doing?" Harry said, completely lost.

Hermione turned the hourglass three times.

The cold and dark hospital wing suddenly burst into a blur of colours, causing Hermione a sore headache. It wasn't like a falling sensation, more like flying, very very fast. Hermione tried to keep still as Harry looked around them, of course, the Quidditch player doesn't feel unwell at this flying feeling. She had used the time-turner many times this year and figured it's best to keep her eyes tightly shut. Her ears started pounding, but then the flashes had calmed down through her eyelids until all she could see was darkness. Her feet felt solid beneath them again and she hesitantly opened her eyes.

They were now in the deserted courtyard, under the stars.

"Wha-" Hermione started, looking around alarmingly.

"Hermione, what just happened?" Harry asked, looking just as concerned.

"Er, so we used the time-turner," she held it up to show Harry the hourglass. "But I think Dumbledore gave us the wrong time, maybe his watch stopped? Therefore, he gave us the incorrect number of spins...I'm not sure, I-I uh don't know how this happened"

"Time-turner? Like time travelling? Like a time machine?"

"Pretty much. Merlin, this wasn't supposed to happen," she paced around the fountain.

"Well, what time is it now?" Harry asked.

"I don't know. It's supposed to transport us back to the place we were at the time. But it's dark. And no one is here. I don't remember this happening in the past, do you?" Hermione rambled.

"No. Was there some sort of malfunction? How do we get back? We need to save Sirius!" Harry looked at his best friend worriedly.

"I know, I know. Firstly we should check what time it is, or day so I can figure out how many turns to get us back," said Hermione.

Harry followed her into the castle as she cast Lumos. The painting covered their eyes and moaned about the bright light as Hermione muttered sorry. It seemed to be really late at night, or really early in the morning as the castle was deserted.

"Remember, Harry, we must not be seen" she informed him. He gulped and nodded in return.

"I really wish we had that flimsy map of yours," Hermione said, hesitantly turning a corner.

"Flimsy?" repeated Harry. "You're the one who wanted me to turn it in. And now Lupin has it- what's that noise?"

"Shhh!" Hermione shushed him and pulled him into a corner. Loud footsteps gently shook the floor as a small boy around 13 or 14 with black hair walked down the hallway, wand at the ready, his back facing Hermione and Hary. He seemed to be heading to the kitchens. Hermione didn't recognise him, maybe a fourth year or something that she hasn't seen?

"That was close. C'mon Harry" Hermione led him out of the corner and carefully down the hallways.

"So, how do we figure out what day it is?" Harry whispered.

"Perhaps we could check the calendar in the common room?" she replied.

"Great idea 'Mione, come on!" he shout-whispered.

They picked up their pace a bit, crouched over and carefully gliding through the school until they were in front of The Fat Lady portrait.

"Password- oh, who are you?" The Fat Lady asked sleepily.

"Hermione Granger? Third-year? The password is Fortuna Major," said Hermione.

"Oh. I've never seen you around before. Are you in Gryffindor? What about you boy?" She motioned to Harry.

"Er..Harry Potter. Was the password changed again?" Harry, said confused.

"Harry Potter? I only know a James Potter at this school, dear" The Fat Lady said.

Harry looked at Hermiome alarmly.

"Maybe she's had too much to drink again, and mistaking you for your father, don't worry" Hermione whispered to him.

"Sorry, can't let you in, wrong password. What're you doing up so late anyway?" The Fat Lady questioned.

"Uhh-" Harry started, before being dragged away by Hermione.

"Do you know of any other calendar in the school?" Hermione asked Harry.

"No- wait! There's one in Filch's office, beside his desk."

"Keep your voice down, Harry. Okay, I guess we could go to Filch's office then. God, I really wish we had your invisibility cloak."

They exited the Gryffindor tower and onto the ground floor, sneaking up towards Filch's office. Fortunately, Filch was out on nighttime duty so his office was empty. Hermione pointed her wand at the door and whispered: Alohomora. They entered the clammy and smelly windowless room and Harry led them to his calendar on the wall, beside Filch's moth-eaten chair. just as he'd said.

Hermione lit the end of her wand and hovered it over the date.