Chapter 6: Padfoot

tw: child abuse- thanks walburga😒 (in flashback at the start)
cw: torture of an insect, through cruciatus curse.

DECEMBER 1974

Sirius' knees were burning and stiff as the cold marble bleed through his trousers.

The pounding in his head was like a storm, whispering winds and rumbles of thunder.

He could see flashing lights too.

He tried immensely hard to burrow his memories away and not let her find them. So so hard.

He endeavoured to remember everything he'd read in Guide to Advanced Occlumency or Protection Charm Your Mind: A Practical Guide to Counter Legilimensy.

He went over everything he and Regulus had praticed, hid away in his room by only candlelight.

He begged Merlin to not let her find out.

Not to let her find him.

He didn't know what they'd do to him.

He tried to think of someone else - anything else. That was difficult when only he was on his mind.

This is the only way to protect him.

He had to protect him.

Sirius thought of Quidditch, zooming through the air, not a thought on his mind.

Then he thought of classes at Hogwarts- same old boring stuff: Potions, DADA, History of magic...his favourite, Mo-

No. NO. DON'T THINK! Mind blank. Mind clear.

Don't hurt him!

Hurt me instead.

All of a sudden he was snapped back into the room, his mothers' cold eyes staring into his like she was disgusted by him. Which she is.

"By him I assume you're meaning that filthy blood traitor James Potter" Walburga spits. "If I ever hear that you've been messing around with that scum again, I will-"

"You will what, Mother? What will you fucking do?" Sirius scoffed at her.

He hated her. He hated her so much.

He wanted out of here- not just for the school year, for good.

Then she slapped him. Hard on the cheek. It took everything in him not to cup his red cheek like a coward, even though it ached.

"I will make sure you never see him or any of the mudbloods at school again. Do you understand me, Sirius?"

That's when he flinched.

He hadn't even flinched when she slapped him. But when she used that foul word, he actually flinched.

He doesn't know the reasoning for his sudden fear of the word since he'd been brought up with it being a frequently used word in this house - probably Lily bloody Evans doing, perhaps Mary?

He didn't care about blood status.

And that seemed to have riled her up even more.

"Crucio."

SEPTEMBER 1975

Sirius' head snaps up when he hears the scraping of chalk on the board writing: 'unforgivable curses'

Peter was practically buzzing in the seat next to him, and Sirius didn't understand why he was so excited to learn about them. He scanned the room, sighing before burying his head into his folded arms again. Remus was back at their dorm because he was feeling ill - he presumes the reason is tomorrows full moon - and he already misses him.