Chapter 10: Teary Green Eyes

tw/cancer.
tw/death (not major character, but please be wary in flashback at end.)

i present to you, a personal favourite, Lily he-has-her-eyes Evans...

She comes in colours everywhere
She combs her hair
She's like a rainbow
Coming, colours in the air
Oh, everywhere
She comes in colours

She comes in colours everywhere
She combs her hair
She's like a rainbow
Coming, colours in the air
Oh, everywhere
She comes in colours

The record was a little scratchy but it was her favourite. It reminded her of home. When Lily was little her dad would listen to The Rolling Stones on repeat as they were his favourite. Her mother was sick of hearing them by the time Lily was ten years old, so he stopped playing them as often.

Her father's favourite, 'She's A Rainbow', came out when she was six years old. She remembers him receiving the album for Christmas from one of his workmates after he lit up whenever it was on the radio.

It's a jolly song, one that is meant to bring you happiness with its catchy tune and endearing pretty lyrics. But now Lily associates it with tears and pain.

She doesn't tell Mary why that's her favourite song, and why she despises it at the same time. Mary just plays her 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' album on repeat, and she lets her. Doesn't want to ruin this song for everyone- like she wishes it wasn't ruined for her.

Marlene groaned. "I fucking hate hangovers...remind me to never drink again."

"Will do" Lily sighed, knowing she would never commit to that.

"My head hurts!" she complained, rubbing her temples. "Never partying again. Ever."

"Sure, sure, Mar. Sirius' 16th is in 3 days remember" Mary smiled and cocked her head.

"Ha, I'm not celebrating that bloody prick's birthday."

Lily smiled and shook her head. She knows Marlene secretly adores Sirius and his frivolous ways.

Mary is currently dancing around their dormitory, singing and swaying her hips:

"Have you seen her dressed in blue?" She sings, "See the sky in front of you...hey Lils, do you think Mick Jagger wrote this about you?"

Lily huffed a laugh from behind her book. "I wish. And Keith Richards also wrote it."

"Woah, that was a Remus move!" Marlene tutted.

Despite her smile, Lily was secretly thinking about how her dad always corrects people about that as well. It's a habit.

"Speck of white so fair and pale. Have you seen a lady fairer?" Mary continued to sing.

Lily squeezed her eyes shut, and she could see her dad's bright smile, her mum's scowling wrinkle lines but secret smirk to herself. She could see Petunia drumming her fingers on the edge of the couch, and smell ham sandwiches and fondant fancies. Taste the cup of tea...now she could taste tears.

It was so stupid to be crying over a happy song like this and think about her family. Her mother's been dead for two years now, and she was still weepy over the lyrics.

Have you seen her all in gold?
Like a queen in days of old
She shoots her colours all around
Like a sunset going down
Have you seen a lady fairer?

Jesus, how fucking long does this song last? She mouthed the lyrics she knew by heart and tried to push the words: "Your mother has breast cancer," out of her mind.