𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝟒𝟐 (𝟐)

They remained in the med-centre, the couple pouring over the bio-scans, Cass explaining as much as she could without infringing on the arbitrary rules binding her, while the Doctor nodded, still confused by what they saw

The captain stood a little ways away, watching them intently, Scannell nearby as well.

"Is the infection permanent?" Her voice drew their eyes to her, and they both sighed sadly, noting the desperation in them. And how could they not? They were married too, after all, they shared a similar enough bond. "Can you cure him?"

The Doctor shrugged, "I don't know."

"Don't lie to me, Doctor. Eleven years we've been married. We chose this ship together. He keeps me honest. So I don't want false hope."

Cass turned to her, a slight beam of respect in her eyes, as she nodded, "The parasite's far too aggressive. You're husband's gone. There's no way back." Swallowing, she met her eyes, empathy clear in them, "I'm sorry, I can't even begin to imagine."

"Thank you," McDonnell nodded slowly, and the redhead repeated the gesture, before turning back to the papers, feeling her husband's arm warp tightly around her waist and tug her into him, as though afraid she'd disappear in an instant.

Remembering her suspicions though, he still looked at the captain with narrowed eyes, "Are you... certain nothing happened to provoke this? Nobody's working on anything secret, 'cause it's vital that you tell us."

But the woman's expression became stoic once more, and she shook her head, "I know every inch of this ship. I know every detail of my crew's lives. There is nothing."

"Then why the fuck's this thing so interested in you then? In both of our experiences, nothing's ever quite this aggressive without reason." The Time Lady huffed, an elegant, disbelieving brow raised as she stared the older one down, knowledge shinning in her eyes.

Knowledge she was not meant to have.

But McDonnell still persisted, "I wish I knew..."

"Cass, Doctor, we're through to area 17." Martha's voice came through the intercom.

The redhead hurried to it, smiling proudly, "Good job, Keep going. you've got to get to area one and reboot those engines."

"Will do." The human girl replied, before cutting the connection off.

"Heat shield failing. At twenty percent."

——————

At some point, Cass had jumped on the desk, swinging her legs mindlessly while the Doctor leaned between them, the scan results still grasped in his hands.

He was still confused, still struggling to identify what parasite this could have been, and how it could have caused this much damage this quickly, and this efficiently.