Chapter 16

(Name) shivered, tucking her nose into her blue and yellow scarf as she walked into the early morning breeze. It was finally the day of the field trip. Because of the long drive ahead of them, all of the students had to be at the school an hour and a half earlier than usual. The sky was darker than usual, the sun just starting to peak over the the trees. (Name) hadn't been able to sleep that night. The excitement was too much for her.

     "(Name)!" Norma called. She waved from the street corner across from the other girl. They had planned on meeting there that morning.

     "Hey, Nora," (Name) greeted with a smile. They started walking together in the direction of the school. "Are you excited?"

     "Yeah," Nora answered. "Although I would probably be more excited if I wasn't so tired. I can't believe we had to wake up this early." She took a sip out of a travel mug. (Name) assumed it was coffee. "Want some?"

     "No thanks, I'm good. I'm planning on sleeping on the bus ride."

     "Suit yourself," Norma said with a shrug.

     The girls walked side by side in near silence. (Name) could feel the lack of sleep growing on her, but her excitement continued to keep her going. This was going to her first field trip at her new school with her new friends. Her first field trip with the Onceler. There was no way she was going to be able to sleep that night.

     "Say," Norma started slowly, glancing over at (Name). "Isn't that the scarf Onceler made?" (Name)'s face went hot at she looked back at Norma, a hand shooting up to her scarf.

     "Yes," she admitted. "What about it?" Norma shrugged, a knowing gleam in her eye.

     "Oh nothing really. You guys are pretty close, huh?" (Name) nodded. She wasn't sure where Norma was going with this. "Do you like him?"

     (Name)'s eyes widened as her jaw dropped. How does she know? Norma laughed at her. "I assume that's a yes then. Adorable." (Name)'s head was spinning. She had no idea what to say or do now. Was she that obvious?

     "Just don't say anything to him," she said weakly.

     "Oh, he doesn't know?" Norma asked. "Weird, I kinda figured he did." The other girl's eyebrows furrowed.

     "What's that supposed to mean?"

     "He just seems pretty smitten with you too," Norma said with a shrug. (Name) wanted to ask more questions, but they arrived at school with a number of other students all around. The girls dropped their luggage off in the line of bags beside the bus.

     After a quick scan around campus (Name) concluded that the Onceler wasn't there yet. She was used to him being early, but this early may not have been his thing.

     "Hey Norma, hey (Name), long time no see," Josh greeted as they walked over to Norma's friend group. (Name) shrugged a little, still smiling.

     "I guess we've all just been busy."

     "Right," Josh said slowly. "Well, between all of us, we're trying to have a small sort of party the last night of the trip. It would be cool if you came and invited..." Josh trailed off for a second, his brows drawn together a little. "Wait, what's his name again?" He whispered to Norma.

     "Onceler, I told you that before," she jabbed back in a harsh whisper before glancing over at (Name) with a sympathetic look.

     "Yeahhh, Onceler. You're welcome to bring him along."

     (Name) nodded. She was grateful that they were invited, although she did feel a little weird that Josh hadn't even remembered Onceler's name. After all, he plays football with his brothers and they were all in the same grade. People really didn't pay much attention to Onceler, did they?

     "That sounds really fun actually, I'll let Onceler know."

     "Let me know what?"

     (Name) jumped hearing the familiar voice behind her. She turned around to see the face of her best friend.

     "Oh hey, Once. Josh and them are having a party the last night of the trip and invited us," she explained. (Name) turned to say something to the others, but they had disappeared. It seemed the teachers had started calling everyone onto the bus.

     "Oh, did you bring the goods?" The Onceler asked quickly before they could be interrupted.

     "Yeah, I got the family packs of graham crackers and chocolate." A huge grin spread across the Onceler's face.

     "That's literally perfect, this is why I love you."

     (Name) went still, her eyes widening as her stomach turned. Love? Before she could say anything else, her friend was being called to get onto the bus.

     (Name) stood alone, watching Onceler walk away as she replayed his words and questions flooded her brain.

     Love? Did he mean to say that? Was it supposed to be plantonic? I mean it's  normal for friends to love each other...Or could it be that he...

     "(Name) (Last Name) and Helena Terwilliker!" Mrs. Knox called. (Name) tried to take a deep breath and started walking towards the bus.

~~~~~

     (Name) yawned as she squinted her eyes open. The sun was shining way brighter than it had been earlier in the morning when the bus set off. Her seat mate, Helena, was still napping against the window.

     Unable to fall asleep again, (Name) looked around some. She had never been to this camp before, so she had no clue what the area around looked like. It appeared to her they were getting closer though as more trees popped up here and there. The landscape was much different to what she had gotten used to in Mulberry.

     Her eyes stopped when they fell on the Onceler. He was in the window seat across from her, a random classmate she didn't know sitting next to them. She felt a small wave of disappointment course through her. They had wanted to sit with each other on the ride, but were told boys and girls couldn't sit together. This was the best they could do.

     Onceler was asleep as well, his signature fedora sitting in his lap. (Name) rarely saw him without it and found herself staring. His head was rested against the side of the bus, the sun shining down on him creating shadows across his face from his hair and long eyelashes. His black hair reflected silver in the sunlight, the tufts looking so soft. (Name) found herself wanting to reach out and run her fingers through his hair.

     "This is why I love you."

     She sighed, looking down at her hands in her lap. This was going to be a long trip. As excited as she was, she was growing increasingly nervous.