Chapter 17

"Ugh, sleeping on that bus window probably wasn't the best idea," the Onceler groaned as he rubbed the back of his neck. (Name) snickered a little, remembering his cute sleeping face and the drool dried onto the window as they left the bus. "I can't believe you're laughing at my pain."

     "I'm not laughing at your pain," (Name) argued. "But what else could you have done? Cuddle with Vincent the whole trip?"

     Vincent, which (Name) learned was the Onceler's bus mate, was walking a couple yards ahead of then with his bags in tow. Something told her he would not have enjoyed being cuddled by the boy beside her.

     Then she heard Onceler grumble something so softly she almost missed it. "Well if I had gotten my chosen bus mate, that would have been just fine." (Name)'s eyes went wide, her face heating up. Man, she was growing so tired of how easy it is to make her blush.

     Was I meant to hear that? Does that mean he would want to cuddle with me?

     (Name) let the comment go, too anxious to say anything about it. If she wasn't supposed to hear it, bringing it up could leave the Onceler as mortified as she felt. The whole trip would become awkward and be ruined.

     Ahead of the teenagers loomed a number of wooden buildings surrounding a large stone firepit. Mr. Fish and the fellow teacher chaperones looked onto the students.

     "Alright everybody, the excitement is soon to begin," Mr. Fish started. "But first things first, I need to get everyone in their assigned groups. Each group will have a specific teacher lead, this will be your go-to chaperone for anything you need. Your group will also be your team in team activities and your cabin. So listen carefully for your names."

     Mr. Fish started calling out names and assigning groups. Disappointment coursed through (Name). If the groups also determined cabins, that meant she and the Onceler could not be group mates either because of the stupid gender rules.

     Eventually everything was settled. (Name) had been assigned the Nutches as her group, and the Onceler the Sneedles as the Onceler's. Despite the disappointment in being separated from the Onceler, Norma was on her team. She'd have somebody she was friends with around.

     "Alright ladies," said Ms. Luck, the Nutches chaperone. "We're in cabin four over in North Nitch. Let's get settled and then we'll return to the mess hall for breakfast." The group started following behind Ms. Luck. (Name) hesitated, looking behind her as the Onceler retreated with his own group to their cabin. She hoped the separation would end soon as she followed the path to her cabin.

~~~~~

     "So, do you have big plans for this trip?" Norma asked, her head hanging from the top bunk of the girls' shared bed in the corner of the cabin. (Name) rose a brow.

     "What sort of plans?"

     "Well, with Onceler, of course. Like I said, you two are totally smitten. Are you going to make a move?"

     (Name)'s face flushed yet another time to her dismay. It was obvious Norma noticed it from the changed expression on her face. (Name) sighed.

     "Honestly, I don't really know," she admitted. "I mean I do like him. But he's also my best friend here. And I'm worried that if I say something, I might ruin it and make things really awkward. I'd rather stay just friends than mess something up with my feelings."

     Norma nodded slowly. "But have you seen the way he looks at you compared to how he looks at everyone else? Boy is totally in love with you!"

     (Name) thought back to his comment from earlier. "This is why I love you."

     "You know what, I'm going to help you out," Norma declared. "I am going to do everything in my power to give you two the best, most romantic field trip ever. Then you will he he really does like you, and you'll have to confess." (Name) couldn't help but laugh.

     "Sure, why not. We'll see how it goes." Norma grinned with excitement.

     "Bet."

~~~~~

     That first breakfast in the mess hall exceeded expectations. (Name) wasn't sure what she was expecting really, but the food they got was better than she had thought it would be. There was a variety to choose from. Eggs, omelets, bagels, you name it. And the best part? The Onceler got to sit with her for breakfast.

     "I'm so glad the mess hall doesn't have separate seating," Onceler said as he sat down next to the girl, his plate piled with pancakes.

     "I am too," (Name) said with a smile. Then she rose a brow at the pancakes. "Are you sure you should be eating something so heavy? We don't know what activity we have after this yet." The Onceler shrugged.

     "I don't really care. Pancakes are my favorite, I'm not giving those up just because we're at camp." Fair enough.

     The two began to eat when (Name) spotted Norma walking across the mess hall towards them. She had a smug look on her face. Why? No clue. The other girl's was soon seated on the other side of (Name).

     "I found out what the first activity is and I may have pulled some strings. You're welcome," Norma whispered with a wink. (Name) was confused. What had Norma done? Why would she have to thank her? The girl nodded slowly and continued to eat her breakfast.

     About thirty minutes had passed before Mr. Fish took the stage at the front of the mess hall. "Hopefully everyone has been settling in," he said. "It's about time for our first activity of the day. We will be having a canoe race, the traditional opening to Camp Weehawken. Your partners are posted on the board outside. When you're finished with breakfast, change into your bathing suits and meet at the board for roll call."

     Canoing? Partners? Bathing suits?

     (Name) glanced over at Norma, the smug look on her face only seeming smugger after the announcement.

     She couldn't have...

     Sure enough, when (Name) went to check the board, it became clear. She could have. She did. (Name) and Onceler were partners for the canoe race.