Chapter 19

"So, how did your alone time with you-know-who go?" Norma asked as the girls gathered their shower things.

     "I can't believe you made that happen." (Name) had been replaying their alone time in the pavilion in her mind ever since it happened. The rest of the night went by uneventful. Everything was normal between the two as they had dinner with Norma and her friend group, joined their class around the campfire, and roasted marshmallows. (Name) gave Norma the rundown of events. 

     "I think you might be right," she eventually admitted. 

     "I told you," Norma said. "I may not know him very well, but I know people. You should listen to me more."

     The girls arrived at the communal showers. (Name) couldn't wait to shower. Between the lake water and the fire smoke, she felt gross and was sure she smelled just as bad. Unfortunately, it seemed like everyone else had the same idea. There was only one shower left. (Name) stood staring in shock and disappointment. 

     "We can just shower together," Norma suggested. (Name) gave her a weird look.

     "Wouldn't that be...awkward," She managed to get out.

     "I don't care. It's only awkward if you make it awkward." Norma started walking into the shower. "So, are you coming or what?" (Name) felt nervous. She hadn't showered with another person since she was a small kid. She couldn't help feeling self-conscious. 

     "Sure, I guess." (Name) stepped into the shower after her and closed the curtain behind them. They hung their robes and towels on the provided hooks and Norma started the shower water. She stood with her hand under it as she waited for it to warm up enough. Still feeling awkward, (Name) tried to avoid looking at the other naked girl.

     "Honestly though, I felt kind of bad pushing for you guys to be partners after I heard you crashed," Norma admitted. "I was worried you had gotten hurt or something." (Name) let herself meet Norma's eyes.

     "Thankfully only the canoe was damaged," she said lightly, managing a smile. 

     "That, and the egos of everyone I smoked in that canoe race," Norma said with a grin. She and Autumn had won the race. The water was soon warm enough and the girls showered together while talking about future camp activities and all the events they wanted to win. 

~~~~~

     (Name) had trouble falling asleep. Maybe it was having to sleep in a bed that wasn't hers. Maybe it was the sounds of other girls snoring all around her. Maybe it was the events from the day, specifically the Onceler related events. (Name) beat herself up for not saying anything to him while they were alone together. She still didn't know what she would've said...but anything would have been nice.

     Suddenly there was a soft tapping noise. (Name) sat up and looked around. It stopped, and for a second, she thought she was imagining it before it started again. It sounded like it was coming from the window. She stood and walked over. On the other side was none other than the Onceler.

     Quickly and careful not to make a sound, (Name) rushed outside to meet him. "Once, what are you doing out here? It's after curfew, you could get in trouble and sent home!" She whisper-yelled at him.

     "I know," he said sheepishly. He looked nervous. 

     "What's wrong?"

     "Nothing, I just...I.." He struggled to get out whatever it was he was trying to say. "I felt like maybe we need to talk."

     "Talk? About what?" (Name) asked, raising a brow. But inside, she was sure she knew exactly what he was talking about. She was sure he also meant their moment earlier. Was it really bothering him as much as it was bothering her? Then again, if he snuck out to see her knowing he could get in trouble for it, chances are it was bothering him more. Suddenly (Name) was also nervous.

     "I think you know," he said, though it seemed he was losing his confidence the more he talked. "At least, I think you do, I hope you do.." He rambled while wringing his hands.

     "Is it about earlier?" (Name) asked, her heart racing. 

     "Partially..." He answered. 

     Silence crept in. Neither of them moving or speaking. Just staring at each other with the same nervous anticipation. The Onceler has a reputation as a loner, (Name) realized. He's probably never confessed to anyone before. 

     Am I...the first?

     "Let me try something," she said softly. "Just close your eyes. If I'm wrong, you can leave and we don't have to talk about this ever again, alright?" The boy didn't say anything, but slowly he closed his eyes. (Name) took a nervous breath. She had never done something like this before either. She took a small step forward, towards the Onceler. Reaching up, she put a hand on his shoulder, then one on his cheek. And slowly, she leaned in to kiss him.

     They stood there, still, their lips connected, for what felt like an eternity. Onceler didn't move, and at first (Name) was scared she had made the wrong decision and that their friendship was ruined. Then she felt his hand on the small of her back as he tried to kiss back.

     It was awkward. There was no doubt in (Name)'s mind that this boy had never kissed anyone before. But it was sweet, and she was happy, nonetheless. 

     Almost as slowly as the kiss had started, it was over. 

     And once again, they were staring at each other, unsure how to move on from here.

     "So," the boy said slowly. "Does this mean you'll be my girlfriend?"