Chapter 5

When (Name) got to school, she realized that she was super early. School wasn't going to start for another hour or so. She wasn't very surprised to find there weren't many people there yet.

     The girl took this chance to go to her locker. She put most of her things inside, save a sketchbook and a pencil pouch. I've gotta kill time some way. (Name) started walking the empty halls to find a good place to sit down and draw. As she searched, she began to hear something. Her goal left her mind as it was filled with curiosity. 

     Soon (Name) found herself outside of a classroom door. It was cracked slightly, and the sounds of music and singing poured out. She reached out to put her hand on the doorknob, glancing around first, before slowly pushing the door open. 

     From it's appearance, (Name) guessed it was the band room. Inside Onceler was jumping and dancing around playing a black guitar. The girl grinned from the doorway as she watched the boy swing his hips around, making random noises while he strummed away.

     He looks so happy..

     (Name) pushed the door open a little more, resulting in a loud creak. Face red, she jumped back as the boy stopped. He turned and looked at her. 

     "Uhh

     "Uhh...I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to spy on you or anything. I got here super early so I was looking for a place to draw, but I heard you and I got really curious. You're really good.." (Name) trailed off to keep herself from rambling too much.

     "Oh, uhm, that's fine." He said, sounding as if he felt as awkward as she did. "Wait, you think I'm good?" The earlier tone melted away, replaced by one of genuine excitement. (Name) calmed at that, feeling more confident even. "Yeah, I do." She gave him a smile.

     A huge grin spread across Onceler's face. "Really? Wow, you're the first person who has ever said that." (Name)'s smile morphed into an expression of disbelief. "That can't be true! You're great!" He looked at the floor and shrugged a little. "Yeah, I dunno. I play for fun, and I really like it. My mom says it's a distraction, but hey," he looked up at her. "At least I've got someone who appreciates my music now."

      (Name)'s eyebrows drew close together in annoyance. How could Onceler's mom not support his guitar talents? She was about to say something, but the band teacher came in. 

     "Morning Onceler," the teacher said, then gave (Name) a nod, not knowing her name. "If you two would please leave, I have a meeting with some of my students today."

     "Of course, ma'am," Onceler said with a smile before leaving the room.

     "So, wanna hang until school starts?" He asked after the door was closed on them.

     "Sure."

     (Name) followed the boy, and soon the pair were heading outside. Onceler seemed to be going to the tree she saw him at the other day. She was proven right. He sat down once they reached the tree. She sat next to him. 

     "So you said earlier you draw?" He asked, eyeing the sketchbook in (Name)'s hands.

     "Yeah."

     "Can I see?" His eyes were big, excited. 

     "Yeah, sure." She paused for a second, hesitating. (Name) showed pretty much no one her drawings. Was she really about to show this random boy she met a day ago? She glanced at him and his expectant eyes. With an inward sigh, she opened the book and handed it to him.

     "Woahh," he breathed as he flipped through the pages. Eventually he found the last one, a work in progress drawing of Mayzie in a magicians outfit. Onceler chuckled at that. 

     "Oh, that's a birthday gift for my little sister," (Name) explained, a little embarrassed. "She likes magicians?" He questioned, looking at the girl again. "Yeah, loves them actually."

     Onceler looked down in thought, a slight smirk on his face. "Interesting," he said at last. Then he handed the sketchbook back. "You're really good at that," he said with a grin.

     "You really think so?" (Name) asked with a smile. He nodded, causing some of his hair to fall into his eyes. He pushed it back a little.

     "(Name)!"

     The pair looked up to find Norma jogging towards them.

     "Hey, Norma."

     The girl stopped, standing above them. "Morning. Hey, Onceler." (Name) rose a brow slightly. "You know him?" She was a little confused. She had figured maybe most people didn't know the boy because he was alone so often.

     "Well yeah, I know who he is. Mark and Josh are on the football team with his brothers."

     (Name) made a face, even more confused now. Brothers? She looked at Onceler, who nodded with a small smile. 

     "Ohhh, waaait...Football twins are your brothers?"

     Onceler chuckled at the nickname. "Yeah, pfft 'football twins'." 

     That makes so much sense.

     But wait..

     "They look nothing like you though."

     The boy nodded. "They take after my mom and her side of the family more. Actually, they look a whole lot like my Uncle Ubb. If you saw them all side-by-side, you'd think they were his kids," he said and laughed a little. "I suppose I take more after my dad."

     "Yeah, anyways," Norma said, taking (Name)'s attention off of Onceler. "I was just wondering if you wanted to come to the boys' football game with me on Friday. Autumn and I usually go together to support them, and Hailey since she's a cheerleader, but she's got a family thing. I figured maybe we could go together."

     She paused, watching the other girl think. She wasn't entirely sure, seeing as her sister's birthday was that Saturday and she might have to help set up the night before.

     Sounding a little frantic, Norma added, "And of course Onceler here can hang out with us too, if you'd like. He always has to go to the games regardless, because of his brothers."

     (Name) looked between the two. Her friends?

     "Yeah, sure. I'll go with you," she said with a smile. She saw Norma get excited and quickly added, "That is, as long as my parents approve it."

     "Well yeah, of course." Norma thought for a second. "Here, let me see that." She snatched (Name)'s sketchbook and a pencil before the girl could protest. Norma flipped the back page open and scribbled something down. She handed the things back to their rightful owner.

     "There, my number. Now you can call me when you know if you can go or not, or just if you want to." She smiled. "I'll be off now, see you guys later," she said with a final wave and ran off.

     "Huh, interesting," (Name) said quietly, watching her. She felt a slight tug on the book and pencil Norma had just given her back. She turned to the boy beside her, a brow raised as he wrote in it himself.

     "Now you have mine too," he said with a smile, looking the girl in the eyes as he passed it back. (Name) returned the smile.

     "We should probably get going, class should be starting soon."