Chapter 4

(Name) yawned as she walked out of her room. Her nap was pretty good, but her headache wasn't completely gone.

     It was dinner time. Her parents had made her favorite food for dinner in celebration of their daughter's first day of her new school. The smell alone made (Name)'s mouth water as she entered the kitchen. "It smells great!" She said to her parents with a grin. 

     With her plate made, (Name) sat at the the table beside her little sister, Mayzie. 

     "How was your first day of school, Mayzie?" Their dad asked. She was in the 4th grade.

     "It was alright. I had to stand in the front of my classroom and introduce myself. The other kids let me play kickball with them at recess, but I don't think they like me yet," she said with a frown.

     "Aww, Mayzie. I'm sure they'll love you once they get to know you," (Name) said, nudging her sister with her elbow. "Maybe."

     "Say, Mayzie. Your birthday is this weekend. Why don't we have a party and invite everyone from your class," their mom suggested. Mayzie grinned. "Really? That sounds fun!" The mother nodded. "Of course, what type of party do you want?" (Name) guessed in her head what Mayzie would say next.

     "I want a magician!"

     Yep, that's my Mayzie, (Name) thought. Her younger sister has been going through a magic phase ever since they went to the county fair in Greenville where there was a magic show. 

     Then the parents turned to (Name) as she was finishing her food. "How was your day?" The girl shrugged. "I guess you could say it was pretty good for a first day. I think I found a new friend group already. There was a pep rally too, so I only had to go to half of my classes."

     "Lucky!" Mayzie shouted.

     "Well I don't get recess! That's where you're lucky!"

     Mayzie grinned. "But you have friends, and I want to meet them!"

     (Name) chuckled a little. "Maybe sometime."

~~~~~

     "(Name), Mama told me to tell you that you have a call!" Mayzie shouted as she barged into her sisters room. The older girl looked up from her doodles. "Ok Mayzie, thank you." Her sister wandered over to the desk. "What are you drawing?" She asked nosily. "Nothing, it doesn't matter," (Name) said as she slammed her sketchbook shut. 

     "Come on, out of my room while I'm not in here."

     Mayzie frowned a little. "Ok." She followed her sister out of the room.

     (Name) went to the landline to pick up the call.

     "Hello?"

     "(Name)! How have you been girl?"

     She grinned, recognizing the voice of her best friend from Greenville.

     "Hey (Friend)! I'm good. What's up?" (Name) sat down, feeling this wouldn't be a short call.

     "Nothing really. It's honestly so boring since you've been gone," (Friend) admitted. "I miss you."

     (Name) frowned a little. "Trust me, I get that. I miss you too. It's so weird being at a school where I don't know anyone."

     "Yeah, although you're kinda lucky. Fresh start, right? You can be whoever you want now!" The girl on the other end of the line laughed a little.

     "I guess, ha. I'm not that different though."

     There was a pause on the other end.

     "Well yeah, I wouldn't expect you to be really. So, have you made any new friends yet?"

     (Name) smiled a little. "I think so, yeah. I know I at least made one. Her name's Norma. She helped me with my locker when I first showed up and let me eat lunch with her and her friends."

     She could hear (Friend)'s grin as she said, "And you're not being as quiet and awkward, right?" 

     (Name) groaned. "I'm not thaaat awkward."

     "Come on, you totally are. Don't you remember how we became friends? I said one thing to you, and then you followed me around like a lost puppy dog until I talked to you again."

     "Ok, I guess I am pretty awkward. But come on, making new friends is hard!"

     (Friend) laughed. "Maybe for you. You're lucky I thought you seemed cool though. Don't scare potential new friends away, you gotta actually talk to them."

     (Name) sighed and leaned back a little. "Alright, alright. I know. I'll try to be more talkative."

     "Good."

     There was a pause.

     "So, are there any cute guys at your new school?"

     "(Friend)!"

     "What! I wanna make sure my girl gets herself a good man!"

     They both laughed. (Name) thought a little.

     "Well, I guess yeah. But we haven't talked much."

     "Well of course not, you don't talk to people. What's he like?"

     "I know we have one of our classes together. He's like really tall, and pretty skinny. He's got dark hair, black I think. He's always wearing a fedora--"

     (Name) was interrupted by (Friend)'s laughter. "A fedora? What's up with that? Is he like a nice guy or something?" This caused (Name) to cringe. "Ew, no."

     "Ha, go on."

     "Anyways, as I was saying. He's got these big blue eyes, and his eyelashes are like super long. I actually accidentally said something about them to him.."

     "Oh god, what happened?"

     "Well, we ran into each other and I fell down. He was looking down at me, asking me if I was alright and stuff. I looked up at him and it might've just been because of the angle, but his eyelashes were super pretty! I'd have to wear mascara to get those kind of eyelashes. I ended up complementing them and saying I was jealous."

     (Name) went silent as (Friend) laughed at her again. 

     "So, you like him?"

     "No! I don't even know him. We've only talked once, and then he rushed off." She paused. "But I don't know, I kinda really want to be friends with him."

     "Then go for it, girl. It's your life, nothing's holding you back."

     "Thanks," (Name) said, thinking about what her friend said. I should become friends with him.

     "Yeah, you're welcome. Tell me how things go with that. And just everything in general."

     "Yeah, I'll do that," (Name) chuckled.