Pulling Strings

Chapter 4: Benn

The capital building was deep within the central metropolis. The building was built dead centre of Gau City in fact. A much smaller version of the glass field encompassing the city was domed around the twisting skyscraper. Though this smaller duplicate shield never came down, protecting the city’s beloved officials at all times.

On one of the top floors, inside a private lounge, the highest ranking federation officials had gathered. They were spread across the suite, seated on blue velvet sofas. Most had a drink in their grasp. The setting was relaxed but the discussions were of immense importance.

Benn Bachmann was the loftiest official in attendance, the Governor General: head of the Gau City Council.

He sat in the corner, legs crossed, hands neatly resting on his plump gut as he listened to the others.

“Safaree’s term is almost up,” Douglas Merver the Military Intelligence General said. “It would be best to ensure someone more cooperative replaces her.”

‘Indeed,’ Benn thought.

With the current unrest it was imperative they got the union back on their side.

“Pah!” Bernard spat, in his glittering suit white suit. “We should’ve scraped that organization long ago. Giving them a voice was a mistake. If they had their way chipping would be optional.”

Benn frowned. How a tactless man like Bernard rose to his current standing was quite the mystery.

The union gave the masses hope their problems were being heard and taken serious. Even though the union can’t affect any actual change, the illusion of having an outlet for channelling the people’s frustrations was vital. Without it the people might resort to more drastic measures.

“Khuu! Khuu!”
One of officials coughed dryly attracting the attention of the rest. The room quickly quieted down. The official, a middle aged woman, wearing a formal police uniform with numerous medals and diamond crested badge. The Police Chief Adella Saar.

“The Attack on the Rhodesia Vault was quickly resolved. We also apprehended the agent responsible. Bernard’s people are still checking the inventory—”

“What about the mess those bastards left in my vault,” Bernard interrupted.

“Please Bernard.” Adella waved him off. “If your security measures weren’t so pitiful, cybercrime wouldn’t have needed to be called in the first place.”

Bernard’s eyes bulged, showing whites. His pale skin flushed. He opened his mouth ready to explode but two sharp knocks sounded, Benn’s hand positioned over the side table.

“Bernard not another word,” Benn snapped softly. Blue eyes squinted hard and a hand massaging the two peaks on his bald head.

Bernard’s fury stemmed from his concern over his side hustle: slowly selling the empire relics to the highest bidders and replacing them with forged replicas.
‘Like I wouldn’t notice.’

But the League of Five who were Bernard’s number one customers paid Benn his hush money so he’d never confronted the fool.

Bernard didn’t hide the displeasure on his face but he at least held his tongue.
As governor of Gau City, Benn had the highest authority present. No, the highest authority in the city. Furthermore, being governor of the largest city among the remaining free cities, he stood above all the other governors with only the United Federation President being above him.

“Adella has interrogation yielded anymore Intel,” Benn said redirecting the flow of conversation.

“The twins interrogated him but he’d muted himself and his mental was unaffected by the loss of limbs. So we switched to wave control therapy but with his mental fortitude it will take time to break him.
‘But break him we will.’