Chapter 5 part 3: Promise

Godless honor

If there was a God, he surely wasn't here.

How could he be? Was he with the sinner cloaked in filth, The man draped in robes of gold sitting upon his throne, or The Executioner with his face covered in darkness?.

Perhaps....I knew this was coming since the beginning, the crown is soaked in blood after all, why should my life be any different than that of my ancestors? My uncle suffered a similar fate. Had he pondered these same things while he drew his last breathe? But I suppose the difference here is my head will roll whilst his did not.

I turn my head up to see his face one last time, though it was difficult when your hands are tied tightly behind your back.

In A moment my blood ran cold, the drops of sweat which had been falling down my chin felt like the condensation of a glass of cold lemonade. The emperor's eyes met mine, his blank expression showed no mercy. My heart wanted to ache, but the thought of lily and I drinking cold lemonade on summer evenings turned my heart to stone. Without her I was no longer a person capable of love.

I did not turn away, I looked him in the eyes, and mouthed "I'll curse you even in hell"

*Chop*

Then The crowd cheered as the princess's head fell.

***

"Come now princess." A gentle and familiar voice called for me. "It's almost time."

Was it Lilly? Is she calling me to the afterlife? I want to see you, Lilly.

A warm touch fell on my thick cheeks, something pinched my skin.

"Princess it's time to wake up."

As I opened my eyes a familiar room appeared, a blinding light poured down on me. When my eyes adjusted, a could see lily, she was pulling the curtains open.

Is heaven my bedroom?

I looked away from the light and saw something strange.

"Soft hands." I mumbled.

Even my voice feels different, my throat doesn't hurt.

"Ah!" My neck, I touched it with both hands, my head was connected firmly.

"Princess is everything alright?" Lily said.

"No it's not, I'm dead, and you're dead too! That's why it doesn't hurt..." From an outside perspective I must seem crazy, but surly I fellow dead person could understand?

"Did you have a nightmare? Your debut must be scary, but don't worry, it isn't as bad as it may seem." Lily came closer, she sat down on the bed and brushed her hand through my hair.

"A nightmare?"

"Yep, sometimes when you're stressed you can have scary dreams because of it."

So it was a dream... something so real could just be imaginary. Lily's voice was gentle, the warmth coming from her hand felt more real than anything from my nightmare, if I was going to believe in something, it would be her.

Lily left to bring me some tea.

As I Waited for her I couldn't help but feel she was wrong. Was it really just a dream? I felt the blade hit my neck, it was so cold.

If it's truly just a dream, I want to confirm it.

Just then lily came back in, she had a cup of warm milk In her hand.

"Thank you Lily, but you know I'm not a child anymore, I'm fine with tea."

"Don't rush so much princess, you still have a week until your debut into high society." Lily smiled, she handed me the cup. "I want to cherish these days a little bit longer."

"My debut?"

"Have you forgotten? That nightmare must have really shaken you up." Lily spoke in a soft voice, there was some concern intertwined in her voice.

She walked to the side table, picking up a brush. It was adorned in flashy gold ribbons, it was the most expensive thing In the room, which cought my attention. It was a gift from Lily for my 12 birthday, but I lost it some time after my 18th.

Debut, my old room....my old things..

"Lily please bring me the mirror."

"Of course."