chapter 6 part 2: spring

Change

"Bethany, could you get me some water?"

"Oh, um yes your highness!" The idiotic maid dashed out, her ears still cherry red.

it wasn't exactly embarrassing, but letting someone like her see this side of me left a bitter taste.

I stood up to swiped the bits of lunch of my dress. I'd made a mess, usually I'd clean it up myself but this time I wasn't going to be a maid in my own palace. Leaving the crumbs for someone else, I walked over to the mirror hanging on a wall.

"Practice makes perfect." I said to my reflection.

I needed to insure that maid would like me, even if I had to lie or fake a smile. Nothing was too difficult for someone who's faced death and came out unscathed.

The door opened but it wasn't Bethany who entered with a Glass of water, it was Lily.

"That maid just now, she was in a frantic state, did something happen? Are you alright princess?"

"Nothing of any importance... and I'm fine" I tried to reassure Lily with my brightest smile.

But of course...even the brightest of smiles will look odd coming from a half dead princess.

Lily handed the glass of water to me. She and I sat on a couch together. In the motion of a loving mother, lily rubbed my back as I drank the water. It was comforting, moments like this made me feel at ease, almost as if the past, or rather the future I experienced was all just a bad dream. I wanted so badly to push away these thoughts, but if doing so would mean repeating history, I would need to face it head on.

"Princess..." She took the emptied cup from my hand, and tucked a bit of hair behind my ear.

"Yes lily?"

"Are you feeling nervous about anything?" Lily asked.

"..."

I turned my head away, not willing to face her. I wanted to run out of the room, how could I ever truly explain this pain? How can I be strong, how can I protect the ones I love so they never have to worry again? If the caring words of another cause me this much distress how can I ever change my fate?

As I was contemplating, Lily placed her hands around mine, stoping my fingers from pealing away at each other. That soothing gesture once again pushed my heart to it's breaking point, I couldn't stop it anymore. Hot tears ran down my cheeks.

"I don't want to debut, what if something horrible happens?" I said, attempting to speak clearly through the sobbing.

I could almost see Lily's heart breaking, her eyes were like a gateway into her heart. Seeing Her worried expression made my crying worsen.

"My princess! I'm so sorry."

In a second I was surrounded by loving arms, lily held me tightly.

"This world might be a scary place, but we've persevered, together." Lily said, gently wiped her finger across my cheek. "No matter what I'll always be there for you."

If I could speak through this choking emotion, I'd tell her just how much I love her, how I'd do anything to protect her. But I couldn't, I was as useless as a newborn. All I could do was cry.

***

I cried so hard I ended up losing consciousness. I awoke the next day in my bed, and spent the afternoon reading in my room. Lily hasn't brought up the topic of my debut since, but she insist I stay in bed for at least til the end of the day.

It's one more day waisted, but after such an exhausting experience I really didn't have the energy to do much.

And so another day passed.

In two days time I'll debut into high society, and meet my supposed half sister. She'll appear out of thin air, like a storm in the middle of a heat wave, so unexpected, so catastrophic.

The shock will kill this delicate flower

Or rather it did, but now the flower knows, and it won't sit idle any longer.