TWENTY FOUR

BAUCHI STATE, NIGERIA.

"Your first husband Aman never divorced you. Your so called marriage with Asad was all a sham, a scum."

Stunned, Mahnoor stared at Azima with mouth hanging open, rapine and outraged at the same time. Who the hell does this girl think she is? How does she know so much about her that her own friends don't? And who gave her the audacity to null her sacred marriage like that with a few brutal words that could send any woman trolling? This girl has lost her mind, just when she started to believe that she really is married to her Asad. She had to blurt out this for what reason? Asad is dead, there is no use calling their marriage a sham when there is nothing to be jealous for.

Finally able to open her mouth to talk, she sputtered. "I dare you to say anything again about my marriage, I'll make sure you rot in hell for your words. Just what the hell are you?"

Oh, no, she hates how frightened she is now, how her stomach is quivering. She is afraid of what this girl is saying, it might be true. She won't be able to recover after this, she is pretty much sure of that, hundred percent. How could things be so complicated for her? Each and every step of her life is embroidered with so much trouble, all sort of contretemps.

Azima gave another half shrug of one shoulder. "I won't gain anything in lying to you and we both know that. The person that's merged us together is no more so there is no reason for us to be so hostile against one another. That is the truth, if you want to hear some more then let me know. I won't keep talking only for you to not believe a thing I say."

Mahnoor was quiet for what seems like eternity but in reality, it was just a few minutes. Her head trying to come to terms that this lady might actually be speaking the truth, but what truth? How could she even start believing she was not married to Asad after all they've had, the marriage that took place with her parents present and his own father's friends? But the marriage shall be nulled like this lady had said if Aman never divorced her in the first place, this is not fair. Why did Asad then lie about the divorce if it never occurred? He confirmed that Aman said triple talaq and severed all they have between them.

She swayed and reluctantly sat down on the mid century daffodil sofa in the room, her head swirling around in disbelieve. Her shoulders carved forward and bunched in her chest. Her stomach rolled unpleasantly, threatening to hurl out what she's eaten minutes ago. She is suddenly feeling too cold, her limbs shivering in consternation.

First, he was married and never bothered telling her about the first wife neither had he told the first wife about her and now this? Another lie right from it's roots tugged ruthlessly on the seventh day of his demise? Things are definitely not going great for her and from the looks of things, they won't. Things are going to get more convoluted, more twisted and intricate. She does not have potency for that.

"Tell me what I need to know." She swallowed the bit of ego she's built up, her eyes fixated on her naked fingers lying on the sofa's hand rest. Even her hands are pale, afraid of what is to come.

Azima sauntered forward and sat down in front of her on the bed that's facing the couch. She looked intently at her disheveled form and thought, she was in the same state few days ago after she confirmed things and put one plus one together. It is not hard getting things placed right where they should like missing puzzles. The minute she learnt about the marriage on television, people passing condolences to his wife Mrs. Asad Zubairu Ajuji who happens to be his ex sister-in-law, Azima had lost it. All rationality escaped her because she couldn't believe her eyes, she thought it was a mistake one way or the other but with so many connections, she found out the truth in less than thirty minutes.

She was shattered beyond repair, not able to bring herself to accept that Asad had cheated on her like this. Hatred she's never known or felt for anyone, including her uncle that almost forced himself on her, filled her to the brim that she could barely breath. How could he? What has she ever done to him? Hadn't she been satisfying his needs or was she just not enough? So many scenarios webbed themselves in her head but then his death hit her right after, she had to go and confirm it for herself with her own eyes.