TWENTY NINE

BAUCHI STATE, NIGERIA.

How was it that everything had changed so quickly? How could life so cavalierly pick someone up and set them on a new and violently unwanted path?

Mahnoor couldn't stop herself from slapping him again, her hand quick and sharp that none of them saw it coming. She regretted it immediately, instantly returning her hand back to her shoulder in embarrassment. She's ruined her chances of getting divorced, she knew that much from the arduous look on his face. But why did he have to ask about her being pregnant or not? He's made his brother used her and he is now asking whether he's planted his baby in her again? Is this man really in his right state of mind or he's lost it too like his brother?

"And this is for what?" His voice was calm, eerily so.

"For asking whether you brother planted his seeds in me or not! He took my virginity and he wasn't even my husband, killed my baby, used me like his concubine or paramour or whatever it is you call it and then discarded me. And you think this is funny? You were the root of all our problems and you damn well know that! And now things are suddenly funny? My life played like a freaking game all for the love you have for your brother? You never stopped to think that I'm your wife and not some random girl from the streets. Because I'm strongly standing here, talking and even cracking jokes, you think my feelings weren't hurt? I'm I not human? I feel too, so much more than any of you could think!"

She swallowed against the painfulness in her throat, her constricting lungs that are making it hard for her to breath properly then blinked her eyes to keep her tears at bay. She needs to get things out or go crazy in a few minutes, she's bottled up enough. This is the aperture she's been waiting for and he yanked it open himself, she needn't have to go through so much to get it open.

"First, your parents ruined everything for me. Coming to Nigeria and living a whole year doing nothing, absolutely nothing and then the so called husband came only for me to wish he'd disappear the next minute. And slowly your brother creeped into my life, I thought I was cheating on you with him but you've planned everything ahead of us. You've ruined me so much. You should better be asking God for forgiveness because you've sinned a lot. Maybe you should've read the Holy Qur'an during your stay here to cleanse yourself, you need it more than anyone else." She grumbled when she saw Qur'an deep into the dark room, it's golden scribbles glinted in the dark.

She changed the topic. "And then you both killed my son. Yes, two of you did murdered him even though you didn't know he was planning to do so but still, you protected him. You should've helped him some more or at least tell me about it, I would've understood what was happening. So many things would've been avoided. Gosh, you are one evil man for real. I always thought of you as a wicked and satanic person but... I-I don't even know what to say. I want to say so much but the words just won't come together." She closed her face with both hands feeling the embarrassment creeping from within.

Aman could only watch her. From fear of slapping him to full spark? "You can go on. I'll take whatever you say. I agree I've cause you so much pain, rant all you want if it helps you. Continue."

Mahnoor pouted, this is not what she wanted or thought he would do after she's finished her spiel, not that she's planned to do so when she came. She just couldn't stop herself. What he did provoked something within her and she cannot help herself but she doesn't understand why she is sparking now after a long time. She's never had the will to do it too.

"Damn you. I don't want to rant anymore. I want to be babied. I want to be pampered and be told that everything will come to an end. That I'm strong and this is a trial I'm going to pass but no one did that because they all think I'm strong enough to endure everything. Even my parents are afraid to bring up the topic thinking it is going to trigger me. I need to go back to them." She breathed through her nose to calm herself down, her last words coming out whiny.