Night of the Full Moon

The autumn air is cool and damp. Goosebumps form on my arms, causing the hairs to stand up straight. My stomach is churning with anticipation. I find myself inadvertently holding my breath, and I fear that if they don't get on with things soon I might faint.

Then they bring it out; the beast. Its body is enshrouded in a black cloak so that its hideous form won't frighten the children. An iron mask is strapped tightly around its face to prevent it from biting or spitting poison. The poor creature struggles with all its strength as the guards drag it through the crowd of people. Metal chains clash beneath the cloaks as it flails desperately. Two of the guards give a hard tug on the chain tied around its neck and it crashes to the floor, thrashing wildly. The guards pick it up and carry it to the center of the room where it is secured to the alter with three leather straps. The beast made a horrid, low growling sound as the guards tightened the strap around it's midsection. Some of the children press their hands to their mouths trying to conceal their giggles at the strange noise.

I have lived through many full moons, and I'm no longer intrigued by the spectacle of the guards bringing in the beast. On the contrary, I sometimes find myself feeling something close to sympathy for the poor creatures. Of course I know they are horrible, blood thirsty monsters, but to be publicly executed seems so vulgar. I quickly push those thoughts aside when they arise, Lord wouldn't approve of such feelings. It is not my place to question him.

The squeals of children and beast alike fade into the background as my eyes wander around the temple. It is a grand building, with no ceiling so you can see the night sky. The single room is round with four large pillars placed equally around the circumference. Each pillar holds up a large golden plaque that is embellished with unique symbols and writings in the ancient language. The walls in between each pillar are made up of bricks, some of which are decorated with intricate designs in dark colors. Metal stands are equally spaced around the perimeter of the room and hold either oil lamps or incense burners. They fill the room with a dim light and a sickly smell of mixed spices. In the center of the room is a beautiful marble slab, with the growling beast strapped to it, and beside that an equally stunning gold podium.

The High Priest Eldrick steps up to the podium and rests on it the great book of history. He signals for us all to sit. In his deep melodic voice, he begins as he always does:

"Many years ago the people knew nothing but war, disease, drought, and famine. Earthquakes, windstorms, and fires wreaked havoc on their settlements. Brother murdered brother for a drop of water. Mothers wept for their dead children, as they humbly marked their tiny graves, one amongst the thousands. The weakest were slaughtered and used as sustenance, so that our species might carry on. The people cried out in desperation as their houses crumbled, their crops smoldered, and their skin blistered. Then, their cries were answered. Out of the darkness, came Lord. Lord tamed the elements, cured the diseases, and brought prosperity to the people. Suddenly there was more food and water than could possibly be consumed. Men went home to their families instead of off to battle, and children went to school instead of to their graves. The people rejoiced in the new life that Lord had provided for them. And for all this Lord asks little of us. He asks that we humbly, and happily follow his decrees, and do not question his infinite wisdom. In exchange for this, Lord continues to giveth".

In perfect unison, as if we all share one voice, the crowd chanted, "All hail Lord, for Lord giveth".

The High Priest closes the great book and makes his way to the head of the beast.

"The beasts threaten our society," he begins again, "And plot against our Lord. They are dangerous creatures with long claws and sharp teeth. They lurk in the forest just outside our village. When given the opportunity they will rape our elderly and eat our children. They are the embodiment of all the suffering our people experienced before Lord arrived. In order to protect us, Lord bravely ventures out beyond our borders on the night of the new moon. On this night he captures one of the beasts and brings it back to us, so that we might hold it captive until the holy night of the full moon, when it will be sacrificed. Once the beasts blood is spilled onto the sacred marble, Lord can cleanse this world of evil and suffering. And so we will continue this ritual, until all of the beasts have been sacrificed, and all threat of evil and suffering is eradicated".