7 - Visual Effects/The Sun Temple

The italics used in the series for titles perfectly match the space style adventure series

According to Meddings, some of the more action-packed episodes featured as many as "40 to 50" effects shots. The rotating Space City control tower, whose filming model was made of wood and card, was inspired by contemporary revolving restaurants. Fireball XL5 was the first TV series to employ front projection -based visual effects. The XL5 spaceship was designed by associate producer and former APF art director Reg Hill. Three models were made: a seven-foot-long (2.1 m) version, which was used for close-up shots, and two smaller ones measuring 24 inches (61 cm) and five inches (13 cm). The rocket sled launch was based on rumoured Soviet plans to fire craft into space on a track ending in a ramp. Although the 1951 film When Words Collide had featured a similar concept, Gerry Anderson denied that XL5's launch method was copied from this. During the filming of the launch sequence, XL5 was pulled down its rail on wires by a technician running along a platform above the set (which was in fact done by Brian Johncock). Fast cutting was employed to conceal the shaking of the model. Some of the series' rocket sound effects were created by recording a jet plane at a nearby airfield. For filming purposes, the spacecraft Fireball XL5 came in a variety of sizes. A five-inch model was used for space shots, a twenty-four-inch version was used for launching and landing sequences, and a seven-foot model was built for close-ups of the various sections of the craft including scenes involving Fireball Junior.

The Jetmobiles – personal hovercraft that the XL5 crew use to explore the surfaces of planets – were conceived as a way of limiting the number of scenes that showed the characters walking, thus helping to conceal their lack of realistic articulation, something Anderson greatly tried to avoid with his puppets since Supercar. Originally the vehicles were to have been rocket-powered; however, tests with miniature explosives proved too destructive so the method of propulsion was changed. The characters of APF's later series Stingray and Thunderbirds use vehicles similar to the Jetmobiles. In spite of the ingenuity that went into creating the models, the designers also owed a debt to their local Woolworth's. Derek Meddings and his team of designers were regular customers of the 'Woolies' store in Slough, where they bought up packets and packets of Airfix kits which were then dissected into bits and pieces and used to make their own designs more interesting.

THE SUN TEMPLE;

Written by Alan Fennell

Directed by Bill Harris

Original UK Airdate: 2nd December 1962 (ATV London, Scottish, Westward, Anglia and Channel)

Additional Voice Cast:

Kazak John Bluthal Zodan David Graham Warrior Countdown David Graham

Zoonie has now learnt to say "Welcome home" months ago and is taught to say "Follow me and "Howdy, folks" in this episode. The titular sun temple itself is a beautiful design on the interior and exterior, with Kazak and Zodan as appropriately suitable aliens for the hot climate on the planet. This episode stands as also one of the most memorable for its variety of storytelling and using Amazonian music previously scored for Supercar. The same music would be later reused throughout the SUPERMARIONATION shows.