Six

My phone is buried in the bottom of the largest bag I have and I'm focusing on Divya's wedding preparation. Sitting in her room watching a seamstress take in the off-the-rack dress she bought is not riveting, though. Normally I would take out my phone but I just can't be that close to a mistake right now.

"So, is anyone else being invited to your elopement?" I attempt to occupy myself by asking Divya questions but she doesn't bite.

"You have any more exes I need to be aware of?" I can hear her smirk without seeing it. But I know as well as she does that's not what I'm talking about.

"Divya, you know I meant your parents. I thought they were finally coming around to the idea of you marrying Raj and I feel like not inviting them might just... I don't know."

"Drive a wedge?" She sighs, inadvertently poking herself with one of the many pins. "Ouch!"

"Yeah, I guess drive a wedge. I know they want their only daughter to get married. Don't you think they'd want to be here?"

"I know they'd want to be here. And Raj wants them here. He wants me to call them, Bianca, and I want to call them. I want to pick up the phone but every time I do, I can't dial their number. I can't do it."

I understand that better than I wish I did. "Do you want me to call them?"

A thousand thoughts cross her delicate face, but she doesn't move.

"I could call them. If it would help."

More silence fills the room, pressing me down into the couch.

"I don't know anymore, B. I know you want to help but I think it's probably better coming from me. Thanks for offering." The seamstress picks this moment to demand Divya take the dress off.

"Offer still stands." I pick at the array of fake flowers laid before me, trying to find some that work well in a bouquet. Divya struggles to get out of the dress in the other room so I raise my voice to call out, "I'll do yours if you do mine."

"You still haven't called your husband?" Divya asks as she reenters the room, flopping down on the couch beside me and opening a book containing table cloth designs. Apparently her elopement coordinator — which, until yesterday I didn't know was a thing — has a few more choices for her to make before the big day this weekend.

"How is your tablecloth pattern going to make things more 'magical' or 'intimate'?" I ask her, drawing a deep red polish across my nails. "Will paisley vs. plaid really make that big of a difference?"

"Nice pivot, Bianca. You know, a week ago you were much better at this bridesmaid thing," she laughs. "Don't you know you're just supposed to go along with what I say?"

She's right. "Sorry, Divya. I don't know what's gotten into me."

Carla chooses that moment to walk into the room. I hear her before I see her. "It's what hasn't gotten into her, Divs."

"You know what?" I spin around to see her smirking with her hands in the air.

"Sorry, officer. Bad joke. I'll see myself out."

"You're on notice, Carla. One more bad joke and we'll settle this outside."

"You'll settle what outside? I could take you with one arm tied behind my back."

"It's a matter of honour."

Divya and Carla shoot each other knowing looks and I know it's about me.

"Can we stop looking at each other about me and just come out and say whatever it is?"

"It's nothing," Carla sings as she slides onto the couch beside me.