Mother

[A/N] A-hoy there shippers! 

A loooooooong awaited but finally here dose of Sharpwin to start your week off right. 

Hope you enjoy the chapter and the sweet cliffhanger *evil laugh*. 

xoxo

*****

"Mum what are you doing here?" The surprise in Helen's voice was unmistakeable and her confusion was enough to make her forget that she was addressing her mother while still safely cradled in Max's arms.

"I had a feeling something wasn't right but every time I called you'd brush it off and say that you we're just tired, so..." Her mom began but broke of as she was unable to withstand the ridiculous dynamic of the situation.

"Oh for goodness sakes could you please put her down?" she snapped and both Helen and Max scrambled awkwardly to get into a more conversation appropriate position. Her strength on her feet didn't last long however and she soon swooned back. Max held onto her and her mother took a step forward in concern.

"Are you alright?" she asked, and Helen nodded.

"Yeah, I just haven't had much to eat today so I'm a little weak." She lied.

In all honesty she wasn't ready to tell her mother that she was pregnant. Especially not that her child was conceived through scientific rather than natural means. Not that her situation with her family could get any worse... I mean there were only so many times a person could get shunned by her family.

"I knew you were lying to me. Come, sit down, I'll make you something to eat."

"No mom, really I'm ok you don't have to bother." Helen begged, her stomach doing flips as she vividly imagined the scent of spices that would fill her house should she let her mom into her kitchen.

Not that she kept many at hand, but that's not something she wants her mom to know either.

"I would love a cup of tea though." She said suggestively turning around and tilting her head up to meet Max's gaze. He smiled down at her, rubbing both her arms and giving her a reassuring squeeze. The action was normal to them both, second nature. After one too many days of Max carrying her to bed post dizziness and one too many incidents of morning sickness where he held her hair back, the two had gradually (and unknowingly) shed the veil of estrangement that came with a lack of familiarity. Favouring, instead, a natural and subtle intimacy.

To an outsider, however, this closeness could easily be misinterpreted.

"I'll be right back." He said before looking up at Helen's mom and asking "Can I get you anything Mrs Sharpe?"

"No thank you." She said simply and Helen didn't miss the coldness in her mother's tone, though she hoped Max hadn't noticed.

However, given the way he stiffened slightly behind her, she guessed otherwise. He cleared his throat and excused himself, leaving her to face the music.

"Who is that man Helen?" her mother went straight to the point and Helen held in her sigh, a sense of déjà vu taking over although this time the man in her home was actually no more than a friend.

So Helen didn't quite understand her resistance towards telling her mother the truth. She chalked it up to wanting to be an adult free of her parents control and not that calling Max a friend made her uneasy. Like the title wasn't enough to encompass all he meant to her.

"That man is Max." she said simply, no more and no less.

"That is not what I meant and you know it." Her mother said just as shortly so Helen decided to switch tactics.