The Tragedy of Max

All I can say is I'm sorry for the delay. I had the greatest writing block when it cam to this story but... IM CURED! So now I hope to be updating as regularly as I possibly can. If anything seems confusing, don't worry, explanations will follow in the upcoming chapters. for now ENJOY!

xoxo

P.S. Cliffhanger warnings apply. 

************************************************

It's normal to think of life as a sequence of events continually changing and processes being created in passing seconds, minutes, hours, instances and moments in time. As such, Max's life lead him down a path that inevitably made him part of Helen's...

10 years ago...

"Mom, Dad! I'm home!" Max exclaimed as he took the key out the lock and closed the door to his parents little apartment.

"Welcome home baby." His mother said, whipping her hands on her flour dusted apron as she came into the living room to greet him. She embraced him warmly, as she always did and he closed his eyes and smiled, simply enjoying her love.

"How was school?" she was work? She asked and Max simply let out and overly dramatic sigh.

"That bad huh?" she chuckled.

"You have no idea Mrs Goodwin. There was a five car pile-up in our vicinity and the ER was swamped. I saw less blood when we were studying blood samples back in med school." Max answered as he took of his coat and laid it down on the couch before following his mom to the kitchen. That part of the house always smelled of baked goods and that day it smelled of his mom's famous blueberry scones.

"Well, it was the profession you picked. You'll be seeing a lot more blood from here on out, I can tell you that." Julia Goodwin answered as she bent down to spy on her baked goods.

"I know, I know. And it will all be worth it to save a life or two." He answered, reaching into the fridge for some water.

"Where's the old man?" he asked while pouring himself a glass and enjoying a cooling sip.

"He went to lie down not too long ago." she answered, taking the scones out of the oven.

"I'll go see if he needs anything." Max said as he walked passed his mom and snatched one of the freshly baked treats that rested on the cooling rack.

"Maxy!" His mom scolded after him. "You'll spoil your dinner!"

"I love you too mom!" he yelled back and heard her mumbling something in response. Probably something along the lines of "That boy never changes."

The subtle sweetness of the scones merged perfectly with the burst of fruity acidity granted by the blueberries. It was like a taste festival in his mouth and Max knew from the first bite that he'd gone down a rabbit hole from which there is no return. If those scones lasted the night, it would be with a lot of luck.

That was the beauty of his mom's home baked treats. Sure, it was his mom so he was entitled to be biased but still, the woman had fairy hands and anyone within a two block radius could tell you that. Max finished off the scone in three bites, just as he reached his parents bed room.

"Hey dad, I'm home." He announced as he stepped inside and an alarm went off in his head.

Anyone else walking into that scene would have simply thought that his father was sound asleep, but Max knew better. His dad was a chronic snorer and right at that moment the room was silent enough that you could hear a pin drop.

"Dad?" Max asked again as he stepped closer to the bed but his father didn't move a muscle. Max placed a hand on his father's arm to shake him awake and his mind went blank.