Heart to Heart

I apologise for the delay, I just realised that I posted on AO3 but not here. So here's the long awaited chapter and this one I dedicate to our fandom matriarch, Ms Freema Ageyman. May she be successful in all her future endeavours and bring as much light to other fandoms as she did to the Dam Fam.  <3 

Alrighty, enjoy. 

*****************************

1 week earlier...

He held his hand up to shield it from the sunlight as he looked up at the sky. The few clouds that dotted the sky provided little shade in the hot summer day, but Max didn't mind much.

"Daddy look!" the little voice called out and he looked in her general direction with a smile more radiant than that sweltering summer sun.

"Look how high I can go Daddy!" she screamed followed by a heart-warming giggle.

"Higher mommy! Higher!" she egged on and behind her a glowing Helen through her head back in laughter then answered:

"I'm trying sweet heart, I'm trying. Just keep bending and stretching your legs ok?"

"Okay! Wee!" Max and Helen's eyes connected for a moment as their daughter soared into the sky and the smiles they shared were mirror images of pride and joy.

Suddenly she was sitting beside him on the pic-nick blanket, her head on his shoulder and their hands on his lap, their fingers intertwined. Silently they watched as their little girl chased a butterfly around the park. Max closed his eyes to freeze the memory in his mind.

When he woke up he could still feel the sunlight on his skin and the smile seemed to be permanently glued to his face. It had a been a beautifully realistic dream. Beautiful enough to overshadow the questions that should have popped into his mind.

Why a baby girl? Was he looking to replace Luna?

Why was Helen apart of his dream? Because she was the mother?

Then why did they seem so close? Why did the dream feel more complete with her in it?

Those questions went an answered as the euphoria of hearing that little voice call him "daddy", energized him completely.

For the first time in a long time Max jumped out of bed. He didn't wallow in dread at the thought of the day ahead nor was he running on auto pilot. He had a destination, a purpose and that was marked by the determination in his actions.

The walk to work felt different with the amount of new found energy coursing through him and Max found himself smiling at strangers and greeting the birds (he even named one of them Tweety). Before he knew it he found himself in a flower shop, handing over his card as the shop assistant wrapped up a colourful arrangement. He left with a sniff and a smile on his face.

Then he got to her door and all he could feel was his heart hammering in his chest.

What if I mess this up?

What if she's allergic to flowers?

Maybe I should have gotten her a coffee.

Is she even drinking coffee these days?

"Max?" her startled voice broke through the train wreck of questions thundering through his mind and he had to blink fast in order to snap back into the moment.

"Umm...Hi. Good morning!" he said still trying to work out his shock.

"Good morning," Helen greets back a little confused. "What are you doing here?" she asked, still in the threshold of her office door.